Brutal pull contest between extruders!

Why buy a Micro swiss NG well here is why this video is awesome

2 Likes

Fun video but I’m not really sure why filament draw tension is the critical parameter. I would think that the ability to push filament (out of the nozzle) would be a more important metric.

Also, isn’t this really a test of the extruder teeth rather than the overall extruder? Wouldn’t any of the units match the Micro Swiss if they had the same teeth?

this is awesome, Very interesting results.

Pulling ability should pretty much translate directly to pushing ability. If microswiss has better stock gears, then it is a better extruder than the bondtech. Bondtech wasn’t forced into their gear design.

Pulling ability should pretty much translate directly to pushing ability.

I’m not a mechanical engineer, but I don’t think it does. If you’re pulling, the tension on the filament tends to make it thinner as it is stretched. When pushing, the compression of the filament will tend to make it thicker.

I just did a search on line for the issue and the only thing that I could find discussing it is the need for more powerful extruder drives for Bowden Tubes vs Direct Drives due to the additional friction of the tube.

There is this:

https://www.bu.edu/moss/mechanics-of-materials-strain/

Which discusses tension on a elastic material and how it deforms/becomes thinner.

Anybody know more about this?

1 Like

I don’t think this video tells us much really, it is fun however. I am with @mykepredko I don’t think pull has much to do with push. The eveness of the draw to me is the most valuable part, you really need the filament to feed constantly under load. Are the micro swiss really that inconsistent? It seemed to pulse. If this translated to a print it would be a disaster.

1 Like

Well if it means anything I just swapped out my original Micro Swiss for the NG on both of my printers and my first print with it was 82a Recreus Filaflex TPE. It needs very consistent extrusion to print with and I got hands down the cleanest print I’ve ever had with that filament using the NG.
I also had 4 failures in the first layer on the same model with the original Micro Swiss because it kept spitting the filament out between the gears and the little piece of tube. The NG doesn’t have this tube anymore and is a shorter path. I was able to increase the print speed and still have no issues.

I agree that the pulling test doesn’t really tell you much of any value but if you think that it is pulsing I can tell you it does not in a real printing situation.

That’s odd. I have printed a ton of Filaflex 82A with my MS direct drive and it always comes out really nice, no failures yet. I’m sure there are other differences in our setups though, so undoubtedly those will alter the results for us both.