Ender 5 Pro Troubles

When the extruder is pushing filament into the Bowden tube, it creates pressure all along the tube, into the hot end, right up to the nozzle. That pressure needs to be relieved by extruding filament. If you hear clicking, it means the filament isn’t coming out as fast as the extruder is trying to push it in. The clicking you hear is the extruder gear losing its grip much like a car tire will lose its grip when trying to push through deep snow.

When you say you “released” the spring, I presume you mean you released the tension on the spring. That will stop the clicking, but for the wrong reason. It means the extruder isn’t gripping the filament very well and is simply slipping across the surface. You want it to grip. In that sense at least, clicking is a good thing: it means the extruder is at least trying to grip the filament.

The hotter you make the filament, the more fluid it will become (to a point), so there comes a point where it flows so well that the pressure is released through the nozzle and the clicking stops, but again, for the wrong reason. While you do want the filament to come out the nozzle, it needs to come out hot enough to bond to whatever is underneath it (build plate or other filament), but then it needs to solidify quickly to hold it’s shape. The stringing you’re getting means it is not solidifying quickly.

The proper solution is to turn the bed wheels (the knobs under the bed) counter-clockwise slightly, when viewed from above the bed, until the clicking stops. Turning the knobs counter-clockwise increases the distance between the bed and the nozzle slightly, allowing filament to flow out more freely. Your problem right now is that your bed is too close to the nozzle. It’s essentially like putting your thumb over a coke bottle opening and shaking it. The pressure builds up inside but is held back until the pressure gets so high the coke is squirted out uncontrollably.

You should have a distance equal to approximately the thickness of a sheet of paper between the bed and the nozzle. If filament doesn’t stick to a clean bed, rotate the knob closest to the print head clockwise. If the extruder starts clicking, turn it counter-clockwise.

You’ll note that the knobs have notches for your fingers. When I say turn the knob, move it only one notch at a time and observe the changes. It’s a very fine line between so loose that the filament doesn’t stick and so tight that you block filament flow and the extruder clicks.

I have a lengthy post where I address the stringing issue here:

3 Likes