IIID Max PLA + made in USA

I’m interested to see what thoughts everyone else has on this brand.

I’m trying to limit the number of reels I have unsealed so I won’t crack it open until some of my in-use reals are finished. It will be my first PLA+ though.

I have found the same as you reported, the spool is very bad, I didnt notice some edge defect and with the spool being wind weird I had a filament breakage.
My best temp was at 210c
The other big thing for me was it is very see through compare to my other filaments and not as white.
The diameter as you reported was not constant on mine also.

wow thats not good. someone saw that and put it in the box anyway.

It is see through a bit more so the dark is a bit washed compare to other brand. A bit more yellow as for the colour, at .8 wall thickness you can see your finger in it.

I think PLA+ hasn’t been adopted in some kind of industry standard yet because there is nothing “+” about this filament. It’s just PLA. When I first saw the manufacturer branding, I thought like a few of you, that this was going to be a PLA/ABS blend and wanted to try it. As I discovered into my testing, this was just regular PLA.

I found the datasheet for this PLA on the IIID Max website, incase anyone is interested.

I did forget to mention that for all the tests, I kept the bed at 60°C. Also, I did do testing to 180/175°C extrusion where the string test fell apart due to lack of layer adhesion. I chose then to stay at the 210°C which was close to the datasheet to ensure that I would get the good layer adhesion and better surface quality. When I couldn’t dial in the stringing after starting at 210 and dropping all the way down to 180, I just said 210 it is.

2 Likes

I wish I found this thread before buying a couple rolls of this lllD max pla plus. I’m new to 3d printing and I quickly found out what bad filament is. Rolls are wound badly I’ve even had a couple tangles. It’s very fussy with temperatures around 210 -220 depending on the print. White color is kinda translucent.

2 Likes

Glen welcome.

When you are starting do yourself a favour and choose a good grade filament. It will eliminate some of the issues you may have and save frustration. My personal pick for a really consistent filament is Prusament. It is perfectly rolled stable colour and size. Yes it is more than most but it will give a you a good start. Any of the better filaments will do really, Prusa has the nicest rolls IMO.

1 Like

My roll is almost all used up. I’ve printed various prototype pieces with it and will say, compared to other brands of PLA, it does a nice surface finish and sticks well to all my build plates without extra adhesion. This would be the smooth PEI, textured, and satin Prusa plates. I did rewind the spool onto an empty one just to see how much I had left. After the rewind, it unrolls much nicer. I think I might miss it once it’s gone :disappointed_relieved:. Having said that, I am happy that it’s almost gone because the effort of the rewind and prior to that, watching the print to make sure it doesn’t snag is too much hassle.

Our house brand is made in China and in my opinion they make Great filament

1 Like