Materials used for engineering with 3D prints (Bolts, Nuts, Etc)

@LEGOManiac believe it or not we actually do count them by hand. many days I walk past the bulk bins and see one of our staff counting out bolts. ( usually its @Logan5 )

we have a guy that comes in from our supplier and counts stock and reloads as needed.

If you are looking for larger quantities of fasteners there is a store on Nebo, right around the corner from 3DPC, I have used them a few times.
https://www.boltsplus.ca/

2 Likes

@LEGOManiac @frozenrc @kitedemon

Yes, we receive it in bags of 1,000 pieces
Yes, those 1,000 bags are counted by weight
No, we have to count them out bolt by bolt still. not enough demand yet to offset the cost of piece scale

1 Like

@LEGOManiac lol, i’ll tell Logan5 He’s forgiven!

1 Like

Thanks for the link. It’s good to have a third source. I generally use Brafasco in Brantford, but back in December, I needed M5 30mm Hex head and couldn’t find them anywhere. It turns out Boltsplus.ca doesn’t have them either. I ended up having to import them from England.

1 Like

Spae Naur. I’d be shocked if they didn’t have these in stock. it’s a common size even if it’s threaded all the way to the head

2 Likes

I had to google “Spae Naur” to find that it’s “Spaenaur.com” and yes, they seem to have everything but the kitchen sink. Their website sucks, however. To find my M5 30mm Hex head bolts, I had to search through a 45 page PDF. Just entering M5 30mm didn’t find it, and even once I found it, it doesn’t tell me the price or availability.

Thanks for the heads-up on them though. I’d never heard of them until now. I’ve added them to my list of local suppliers.

1 Like

Yes on the website. this is a pretty old company and I have their paper catalog so mostly it’s what I use (it’s 15lbs) The website helps if you know the name of what you’re looking for. you can search by DIN too for metric stuff. They are in Waterloo. I thought everybody knew who they were.

1 Like

One thing I should point out if you decide to order from the part numbers in the website some or most sizes come natural or finished diferent ways like zinc or black and diferent materials like stainless, plastic or brass. Its not very apparent in the catalog

Putting up a makers kit for sale would be a pretty good idea. Id say either a few super super cheap tweesers, or more preferably some really good ones. Some razer blades, a wire brush, assortment of magnets, assortment of ball bearings, assortment of springs, or better yet piano wire and a few 3d printed spring fabrication tools.

3 Likes