Matter3D Filament - Strength Properties

Someone mentioned on another thread that the matte version of the Hello3d filament was stronger then regular filament. Is it just the Hello3d or does any matte filament act that way? Just curios.

That was me, and Iā€™m going to test that as soon as my current parts are done. I have matte filament from 2 other makers on hand now. Iā€™ll report back. Stronger I donā€™t know but it is certainly more flexible which would make it seem stronger in some applications

It is the main drive gear attached to the worm gear off the motor that is all stainless. It is a fiber material red brown the stuff from the 80s that was so common. When the rack it drives jams the gear I need is crewed up. Saving the motor worm and drive chain. Strong not indestructible. I will check the chemical resistance of the light metals Glenn spoke of, it might be he best way. I have molds already. They were made when we tried casting resins.

The gears are not super precise. I have been planning on annealing in DE when I get a chance. I have too many hats these days and this is a work project I donā€™t like doing that on my own time too much.

1 Like

Phenolic resin and cloth, generally referred to as Tufnol back then. Similar or the same as Geetek or G3 today. Used to make sacrificial gears among other things. It is machinable.

Do you have equipment to machine gears where you work or would it have to be farmed out. Cutting spur gears isnā€™t that hard if you do have the equipment, which doesnā€™t have to be big or fancy and the right cutter.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s Phenolic. donā€™t breathe it heh. So is this a worm gear? like a screw and a worm wheel?

1 Like

Iā€™ll post some photos when I get to work. No its the first gear off the worm gear.

1 Like