Photon Mono X - Melting Knobs fix

When I was testing this machine, this was an issue which became apparent once the knobs were exposed to isopropyl alcohol. A friend of mine got the same machine recently and had the same problem, so it’s still an issue with this model as far as I can tell.

What types of plastics β€œmelt” in isopropanol?

I thought it was basically inert for everything and just a good cleaner without the issues of using water.

1 Like

Acrylic can melt in alcohol for one. but alcohol can ruin a lot of things it used to be widely used for camera lenses and later sensor cleaning in digitals but some of the new coatings can be easily damaged by it. her was

1 Like

As I understand it, isopropanol is a basic cleaner for LCD 3D printers.

So, isn’t it Dumb (big β€œD” dumb) to make an LCD 3D printer with parts that can be damaged/melted by isopropanol?

1 Like

Yes, definitely a dumb mistake. Looks like they failed to acknowledge it and kept making this mistake too

2 Likes

Yup. I wounder if it’s just that model, though. I just got my photon ultra, so I guess I’ll be doing the dunk test to see if it also needs addressing. Likewise, I’m hoping that it stays reasonably intact, since it’s a royal pain to pry the material off to re-use the bolt.

2 Likes

THanks for sharing. Mine did not melt yet but I feel they are always sticky and just wash them more with IPA… Getting it worst if you’re right! :smile:

I guess I’ll need your models it a near futur then… thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Frebou

Welcome to the forum, Glad you found us, Let us know how you make out with the knobs,

1 Like

good job on the video.

1 Like

I made the same mistake… so ya. The file is designed to work with the pre-existing bolts, so just let me know if you end up needing a different size, and I’ll include it as a free update.