Pla recycling/reuse options

Life’s too short to do 10 hour shifts. unless there’s only one a week heh. If it’s called a shift it means you’re going to hate it.

Lol! Toyota motor manufacturing, 10 hr shifts 2 weeks a month, 9 hr shifts 6 days a week the other two.

1 Like

Here’s a thing. So plastic from other sources then just re used filaments. Might take some practice to print properly though

1 Like

For the low low price of $1800. That is absolutely ridiculous for what’s there.

I agree. But it’s the idea I was promoting not the actual product

1 Like

Totally get ya, I just hate the fact that there isn’t much more than a couple hundred bucks of materials in the kit form and they want $700+ dollars just the extrusion kit

I mean it’s a niche market and they need to recover r&d costs etc. But yeah, they need to do it with volume rather then price

That’s what has kept me from seriously looking any of the available solutions. Money talks! And I work to ensure that the stuff I print uses as little support as possible. I still feel bad when the time comes to dump the scrap bin. I wish that filament makers would put a damn recycling number on their spools! At least then I could recycle them with our local program, but they will not take them with out the mark.

Im kind of playing around with a diy shredder, however I have like 4 projects on the go atm.
My current ideas involve saving space, and sourcing common everyday items, at least as much as possible

for recycling PLA is # 7

Unfortunately in my smaller rural community our program will not accept anything without a number molded into it.

The other end of the local recycling programs is in some places it ends up on a ship heading to a landfill in China or someplace. Many places don’t actually separate and re use the product they just pass it along.

I would like something I control. I hate tossing scrap out.

You can print the number in. Thats what I’m starting to do.

Benchy, just again tossing potentially silly ideas out there. in Jewellery they use ‘casting grain’ Which is little blobs of metal. They take molten material and drip it into water.

The grinders seem to be problematic by times I wonder if you have a heated throat and an opening say one or two mm and a catch bin if you just melted the plastic and allowed it to drip from the end and cool during a freefall.

You also if you had a screen use at least for PLA just beyond the molten stage be able to strain stray higher temp materials out.

Just thinking. Random blobs might feed into an auger well.

They use this for lead as well to create the bbs inside of shotshells.
I’ve been trying to sources a shot maker for a long time to figure out exactly how they work,

In large scale operations it looks almost like a grain silo and the molten lead drips down from the top, I’ve seen videos of the older machines but never come across one myself, even with the auctions and gunshows in my area.

1 Like

There’s actually a shotmaker in ancaster called hummasons. I buy target shells there. I’m wondering how open they would be to a tour.

1 Like

When I left Ontario 3 years ago all plastic was going to local landfills 90% of the time. China stopped taking plastic in altogether, I beleive they were dumpling it in the ocean and rivers for years before that whenever oil got cheap but nobody is saying.

I also had and idea very similar to that even if you had to shred it a little bit but you could probably get more consistent sized bits to put through your filament extruder.

1 Like

Is cast shot a thing? Ive seen pelletizers that made small spheres from wire strands that are rolled into balls. Copper and soft metals like that im sure lead would work.

Cast shot is a thing, but in larger sizes like buck shot. It would take forever to cast an ounce of 7.5 or 8 size shot reliably.