Training course ideas please

that’s gonna be the goal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to me like all roads point to Pronterface to me. Seems unescapable.

So section on Pronterface, its connection and a test drive of it around the block so to speak so new users can get onto it faster.

Cheers

1 Like

That’s actually a good idea, I’m gonna try not to focus too much on the software but you are correct I think Pronterface is worth a chapter.

1 Like

First look

Hi Everyone I have started trying some initial documentation. Along with other parts of the training course, I have developed a 3D printing troubleshooting flowchart. This is an initial First draft and I am looking for some feedback on it.

Bear in mind, The purpose of it is to show general troubleshooting methodology on what to look at when you are troubleshooting 3D printing issues. I am going to develop more material on specific troubleshooting issues but this is supposed to be general overall.

6 Likes

Hi Jason … the Flow Chart looks good … especially for a beginner such as myself.

Thank You for doing this

Brian
1 Like

Looks like a good starting point to me. Seems like that covers most of the more hardware related issues you would get starting out apart from frame alignment, gantry alignment/sag, loose wheels, etc.

It almost seems like there could be a chart for everything leading up to and including the first layer, then all of the stuff that goes wrong after the first layer

1 Like

Yes, I agree @Blair I think the initial put together would be more of a checklist kinda idea as it would relate to multiple machines. Going to put together a flow chart for multiple issues, this is kinda a general one when you have the question, Where do I start?

1 Like

Looks good Jason. I would add somewhere in there when slicing, did you select proper filament type/profile. Then later, did you load the correct filament to match slicer selection. This can lead to extrusion issues/clogging.

Maybe not an issue, but there was a time I had the wrong gray filament loaded. It was PLA when I thought it was PETG. Layers looked off, to say the least.

1 Like

Good catch, thank you, I will add this into the flow chart.

1 Like

you can also add “Did you actually put filament on the printer”. I started a print yesterday without filament, hard to complete the job that way.

2 Likes

I like the concept a lot, and I think it could be further improved if each of the decision points could link out to a more detailed process for fixing each of those problems (which sounds like you’re already thinking of developing). So use the chart as an overview, and then go to each specific box on how to fix each problem.

1 Like

Yeah I get that the starting point for the chart is tricky. Do you start from the very beginning - does my printer turn on?
Then just work forwards.

Or do you start at a middle point where a lot of people have their first real issue and work in two directions - was my first layer successful?
If no, then work through bed levelling, clean bed, jams, mechanical issue.
If yes then what is the issue? Warping? Under extrusion? Layer shift? Etc

eventually, it’s going to work into just that, For example, if you have an under extrusion issue it could be caused by C, D, G or L. Then there will be a detailed explanation of how you troubleshoot C, D G or L

C may be ref from more than 1 symptom as well but the detail will be specific to that particular part. Therefore in an ideal world if you have more than one symptom all symptoms should have one component in common. I know it’s an ideal scenario but it’s the basis I am working off of. If I can get it refined enough I could be onto a true one-stop shop for a troubleshooting manual for 3D printers.

2 Likes