100 % infill with PLA

Best brand of PLA to print 100 % infill without plugging the nozzle / failed prints ?

I wouldn’t say there is a best brand of PLA to do that with, I know for sure that every PLA that we offer here prints at 100% infill just fine!

Usually if you are having problems printing at 100% infill, check and make sure that your filament is dry, other that that it is usually a problem with the machine rather than the material.

1 Like

Hello. Yes, any PLA is suitable for printing with 100% fill. If you have problems with this type of printing, you should check the flow in your printer. If you have even a small over-extrusion (a few percent), the pressure in the nozzle will increase with each layer and eventually you will get a clogged extruder.

1 Like

What kind of printer?

1 Like

Hello, thanks for the reply, we have an AON M2 and a gen 1 printer. I agree with the over extrusion 100 %.
We have fiddled with that and does make a huge difference on the fail rate. We generally don’t see the clogged nozzle.
I guess the problem that were facing is the density of the plastic. these parts are specifically made for cancer treatments and the physics group does not want to see less density on the part. so, if we try to reduce the extrusion by a couple percent the density changes. all in all it sounds like a ME problem ha.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Depending on the size of the part you could increase both number of walls and top/bottom layers to achieve the same density.

they scan through the hole part to check the density not just the outer walls. part size varies from head/face hand foot and genital areas. parts can be fairly large.
If the part does not have the correct density too much radiation will be prescribed.

You should not have any issues with 100% infill with most materials, certainly not PLA any printer able to make a decent print will make a 100% infill one too. Same for most material, if you can make a partial infill print that is good it will most likely print a 100% one too.

Some of the thermal foaming materials this is not true for but generally no problem.

I assumed that they wanted solid print. By using more walls and top/bottom you get away from the massive motion of the print head moving to create the infill. By using say 25 wall thickness, at 0.4 thick you can make the part solid without using infill at 100%.

Versus 100% infill.

Print time is 49 min. vs. 42 min, walls vs. infill.

Just a thought.

1 Like

Interesting thought.

I wonder if you get more strength with one over the other? I would guess perimeters would be stronger. I tinkered too in Prusa slicer I got a similar small difference with Arachne, but classic was a lot longer.I used a 60 cube and was getting about 1 hour with infill 1:00 and 1:05 with perimeters but classic generator was 1:21. That is a a lot longer.

Would there be any noticeable difference with an X-ray?

@Reeder

AON M2 is a far different machine than most of us use. I wonder if PLA is the root issue and it is failing with some heat issue. Do you get the same issue with other materials? hmmm it might be worth poking AON support.