3D FDM Printed Mechanical Clock Project

Greetings,

Well, Im quite a way into this project already but I thought i would share my progress on here for interest sake.

I am using a Ender 5 Plus with some added goodies to create this clock. So far i have most of the gear set done and today I just finished the Dial done with 2 colour changes using my G4 S300 trick. It was a fuss, but it worked. Here are some photos of whats up so far.

More later :slight_smile:

Cheers

5 Likes

Should look great when done. Looking forward to seeing it.

1 Like

Really impressive. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

1 Like

nice… and nice colours too

1 Like

That looks great! nice to see such smooth prints! Fantastic job!

1 Like

With the Dial done, time to print the back portion of the case. Another Long-ish’ print. But it turned out bang on and fit absolutely perfect.

Off to a good start. Everything stuck down well.

Progress progress!

A day later and a few dollars shorter…voila!

Fits bang on :slight_smile:

Time to print the weight shell. It will be another long print. This wall clock is driven by a weight. Fully mechanical. Weight driven clocks tend to be fairly accurate as the power put into them from the falling weight is always the same from the start of its run to the end. In opposition a spring driven clock tends to run fast and the start of a wind and slows down near the end as the spring power drops off.

Back to the weight shell.

More later.

Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool project. It’s looking good so far and I look forward to seeing it complete.
I’ve been wanting to print a clock at some point too and have been intrigued by the 3 axis tourbillon but even with purchasing the print files it would be a big enough undertaking to create.

Did you design this one or was it a project that you found?

that is pretty slick, Nice job

Since this clock main power will be a weight, time to print the shell that will hold the weight.

The shell will be filled with about 9 lbs of BB’s or lead shot. On the top there is a pulley with a built in 623rs bearing for the cord from the clock.

You just fill the shell from the bottom and #6 screws hold the bottom plate on nicely.

More later

3 Likes

While a few last minute parts print, time to assemble and test fit the main frame of the clock.

Pardon the old blanket. Its keeping things from getting scratched or damaged.

So far the fitment has surpassed my expectations.

More later

5 Likes

Looking pretty amazing

Time to start test fitting some of these gear stacks. So far, so good.

Used some nice little roller bearings where there is heavy load.

More soon as assy goes

2 Likes

Phew! Is it getting warm in here? Or is it just me?

Well, the simple gear train doesnt look so simple any more.

However everything fits great and a preliminary test strongly suggests its actually going to run!

I think I will break for some lunch. After that we will get it on the wall and go for a live test.

More later!

1 Like

so much patience, )

1 Like

Well, here is the first test…

It runs :slight_smile:

Some tune up a few touches here and there and it will be finished.

3 Likes

Very good. What kind if tuning can you do?

To speed up or slow it down, the pendulum has an adjustment nut to make it shorter … meaning speed it up or longer… to slow it down. This is how you regulate the time…

I am using a light amount of silicone lube in spots for now. Even thou the gears look smooth, they need time to wear into one another. So, I ran it without the pallet, the part the goes tick tock :slight_smile: so all the gears spun at an alarming rate to help the gears seat into one another. I did this for about an hour. Now I can hear the "Tick Tock is louder meaning more power is making its way thru the train. This will increase more as time moves on.
I printed up a black set of hands for testing. Dont much care for them so I will do up something fancy before I do a full video.

So still lots to do :slight_smile: But im a happy camper at this point. This is prolly 150 hours, maybe more of just printing alone.

Cheers for now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is really quite a fantastic project!

1 Like

Gorgeous work! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

With the clock running well and keeping good time, its time to move on to the little things.

Printed up a set of fancy hands to replace my all black test hands. The black was so black you really couldnt read the clock for a distances. But when printed with the white Euro Silk and a fine black out line, they stand out really good.

Also printed up the winding key. Note it stores on a built in hook on the back of the clock frame so you dont lose it.

I will do up a video of this thing running a bit later.

Cheers for now!

More later :slight_smile:

3 Likes