3D Printing Pens

I’ve read that 3D printing pens can be used to quickly tack down a print that’s starting to lift. Also, they can be used to add coloured highlights to a print that doesn’t lend itself to the usual multi-colour methods, so I’ve decided I’m going to try one.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Any that you would recommend or avoid?
Any features I should look for?

Lego, I own one the cheapest I could buy. I never thought to use it for bed adhesion. To be honest I don’t really have problems with that on my prusa, the X1 I am still ironing out the kinks.I had also not thought of highlights. I have been using it as a ‘glue’ to glue part together at thin seams and gap filling if needed. Mine has two temps and a single feed rate. It is ok but if there is one with a variable feed it would be way easier to control. mine was under 20$ so I can’t expect too much.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. What brand is it and where did you buy it?

It came from Aliexpress and is a generic name I don’t remember off the top of my head. I know that sunlu makes one I have not used it but it offers variable speed and I would recommend a variable speed pen (not necessarily Sunlu) over such a basic one I have. Especially if you are trying to do colouring you will need controllable! It seems like they are 30-50$ bit likely worth the extra if you need precision. Mine is basically plastic welder it is ok for that.

Amazon used to be full of cheap 3D printing pens, but it seems like there’s less options these days. I bought a generic one for $30 a couple years ago. It has come in handy for fixing the occasional “split” prints that my Ender 3 will produce.

I’ve heard they work great without filament in them too, just heated up to smooth over problem areas of 3D prints - although this is not something I have tried yet myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a cheap one that I bought at my local 3dprinting store and used it mostly to build things completely unrelated to 3dprinting. I think I paid $35 or so for it. It had variable speed which is nice but one day I dropped it and the nozzle broke. I thought I had found a replacement nozzle for it but when it arrived it actually didn’t quite fit so😥

there’s a couple things I built with mine when it still worked.

1 Like

Wow. Knowing how long it takes a printer to print an Eiffel Tower, I can imagine how long that took by hand. Interesting point though, about the ability to replace the nozzle. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that feature.

It was actually surprisingly easy to build the Eiffel Tower. I basically just followed a plan I found online for it.

Nice work. I too picked one up on Amazon. I have not used it much yet, but appears to be nice. It too was cheap. 3 speed, and uses either PLA or ABS. Came with a bunch of filament, 16 pieces of 3M each. Was under $30.

Great answers everyone.

I have the 3d Doodler for my young niece’s and the TecBoss SL300 for myself.

the “Doodler” melts at a low temp and is safer!!

The TecBoss SL300 is nice because it eats 1.75mm ABS, PET-G, PLA
I’ve been using it for touch ups, Laptop Body repairs

I Like your idea about using it for bed adhesion!!
I could also use HIPS or PVA in it then and make custom dissolvable supports!

Interesting. I was looking specifically at the TecBoss SL300 which is what made me ask the original question.

Have you used it often? Is it prone to jamming like I’ve been reading about so many of the 3D Pens I’ve seen reviewed?

I like it a lot, My Supervisor at 3DPC @Jason seen it and bought it too.

I can’t remember if he got one or 2x of them, himself

I bought the mynt3d i think its called and its awesome was around 40$ us takes a steady hand but you can do some cool stuff only limited by your imagination!!