Anyone tried Card Scrapers for finishing prints?

I found this youtube video on using card scrapers (carpentry tool) as an alternative to sanding. It looked like a great idea. With lock down I haven’t been able to get out to buy a set. Lee Valley has some quality woodworking tools. Interested on hearing others thoughts on this alternative finishing method. https://youtu.be/a4e9JJkinvk

Very interesting. I’ve never used this in particular, however, I have used ceramic deburring knives and they work wonders:

Similar concept of scraping the filament down.

1 Like

Very interesting. I’ve been using files to do initial smoothing then to sanding which has sped things up from just sanding a lot

Sooooo I really want to give the ceramic knives a try but can’t find the ones being shown here. An help is greatly appreciated

Sooooo I really want to give the ceramic knives a try but can’t find the ones being shown here. An help is greatly appreciated

I just bought myself some hardened steel wood scraping tools for my 3d projects. Got 4 of them from Lee Valley Tools, each 6" x 2.5", straight ended (they come in a variety of shapes), with varying thickness, for around $30 (CDN). Did a test run and was quite impressed. These can be resharpened for long term use. The ceramic ones, like ceramic knives, will last a long time but you cant resharpen them.

1 Like

I have some scrapers I can try. scrapers are closer to a plane than a knife but if it’s sharp enough it could work well. A freshly broken or cut pane of glass can work too. As always workholding will be an issue with some shapes.

1 Like
1 Like

hi @mgendron57

Welcome to the forum

Glad you joined

Jason H