Arduino Nano Filament Scale

Got to thinking of making a scale using an Arduino Nano to read out what the approximate amount of filament is remaining on my part spools.

I purchased a pair of 1kg beam load cells with driver boards from Amazon for $15. I already had the Nano, the OLED and button stowed away in my parts cases.

After I bread-boarded everything and got the circuit working, I designed and printed the spool scale and the electronics case using a Bambu Lab P1S printer. This is the end result.

F1

F2

F3

F4

After some searching I found that the Creality spools weigh approximately 140 grams. I place 140 grams on the scale using some calibration weights, press the button to tare the scale and then check my part spools.

Not exact by any means but it does give me a good estimate of the remaining filament.

Now I’m working on a scale that can report the remaining amount of filament of different types of materials. PLA, ABS, PETG, Nylon and TPU using a second button to select between materials. Just another project for a 65 year old retired Industrial Electrician. Gotta keep busy right?

Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

Great job! That is very interesting,

If you are ok with it you should share the files to make it! I am sure many people in the community would be interested in building this as well!

Keep up the good work!
Matt

I’d be more than happy to share the files and the Arduino code once I finish my second version that will allow a user to select between 5 common filament types rather than just PLA. And I’ve updated the electronics case.

There’s parts being printed as I type.

I’ll post the files here once it’s complete.

Dave

1 Like

Hi Mathew.

Not sure how many are really interested in this (considering the post replies) but I’ll forge ahead anyway.

I’ve built and assembled the new parts and I’m now in the process of upgrading the Arduino Nano code.

I’m hoping to have the finished scale do the following:

1. Allow a user to choose between 5 popular filaments. (PLA, ABS , PETG, NYLON, TPU)
    (Alternate filament suggestions welcomed.)

2. Once tared for a given filament, the device will remember the spool tare value and reuse it without having to do it again unless the scale is re-tared. If re-tared for a spool weight for a specific material, the new value will be saved for later measurements.

More to come.

Looking great! Keep me posted!!!

I’ve finished up on the new program. This program has some key differences between the first version.

1. Allows a user to choose between 5 popular filaments. (PLA, ABS , PETG, NYLON, TPU)

2. Once tared for a given filament with an empty spool or equivalent weight, the program will remember the tare value and reuse it without having to do it again unless the tare is cleared.
    The tare value is saved in EEPROM for use in later measurements and is retained even after power has been removed.

3. There is an indicator (“*”) on the screen that tells the user the scale was previously tared for a given filament.

lcd

Pictures showing the assembly process.

B01

B02

B04

B05

B06

B07

B08
There are two spacers. One goes between the loadcell and the spool saddle. The other goes between the loadcell and the scale base. Note the placement of the non-skid pads.

B10

Parts List
I2C LCD 1602 Display Module (Amazon.ca)
Nano V3 Module Atmega328 (Amazon.ca)
Digital Load Cell Weight Sensor c/w HX711 Module (Amazon.ca)
Translucent White Silicon Rubber Pads (Amazon.ca)

As requested, here is a ZIP file containing the program sketch, the STL files, the assembly pictures and a wiring diagram for reference.

You can modify the cover STL to fit whatever buttons you are going to use.

Please don’t rate my STL designs too bad. I created the files using TinkerCad. (I’m not a professional programmer or a CAD expert.)

Also, the hole sizes may need to be drilled out to size to fit the screws. The ones I printed were slightly undersized.

ZIP files (Files hosted on my web site: davebuildsthings.ca )

If you try to make this and have any questions, just message me here in the forum and I’ll do my best to help.

Looks really good! Thanks for sharing!