ASA Settings for large pieces

New 3-D printing. Printing some parts for my fishing boat I’m looking at ASA I have gray. I have a Ender 5+ standard hot end and fan configuration. I set nozzle to 230°and faceplate 90°. I got warping on the first few layers. I’m assuming it’s a cooling problem so do I need to reconfigure my hot end with different fans and cooling adapters. I hope the terminology it’s close to people understand thanks to everybody in advance

I might recommend trying to enclose the printer first to try to keep the ambient heat in to mitigate warping from the build plate.

For ASA or ABS I often have my part cooling fan turned off or set very low (10%). I also have to print ASA/ABS in an enclosure otherwise I get significant warping from the heat loss on my printers.

Have you tried printing the parts in PLA or PETG to see if they are also warping?

1 Like

As @TurkeyOnRye suggested, an enclosure is pretty much a necessity for high-temperature prints, however, there is another option that I’ve used successfully for PolyCarbonate on an open printer.

In Cura, there is an option for Draft Shield. I enable the shield and set it to be built 5mm from the part. It builds a wall around the part to trap warm air against the part edges and to force drafts up and over the part. It doesn’t work 100% of the time but I"ve had very few failures with it.

It is not available in Cura by default. You have to enable it via the Preferences mene / Configure Cura / Settings then search for “draft” and enable all the options. Now it will be available for use in the Print Settings menu on the right.

If you’re using something other than Cura, you’ll have to find the equivalent yourself or consult someone else as Cura is the only slicer I generally use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information I guess it’s time to build and closure

1 Like

One other thing ASA like ABS produces toxic fumes. Give some thought to where you place the enclosure, if you can vent it outside, or filter the air.

For a while I’d only print such materials in the summer when I could put the printer and enclosure in my shed.

PETG is similar, a bit stronger, a touch less resistance to chem and a somewhat less UV stable. It is also way easier to print.

I have pets fittings on a shed for 18 months now, they show no degradation from UV. I figured I’d just reprint if they had issues. They seem remarkably stable.

1 Like