Bambu lab vs stratasys lawsuit

hey all,
Forgive the absence its been a crazy time.

I am just curious what impact you all think the Bambu Lawsuit will cause?

I suspect no matter the outcome it will impact the wider community. Not only the US.

I’m not familiar with that suit but if it about patent infringement, there isn’t much really new under the sun in 3d Printing.

The big points are the heated build plate, purge tower, and possibly the lidar system although I think that is a reach. Layered plastic is never going to stick (pun intended!) nor will networking in my opinion.

The heated build plate could affect everyone, maybe not Prusa as Jo invented it but made it open source. All whom followed Stratasys could get wrapped up too possibly.

The purge tower who knows.

Another interesting aspect which I gathered while reading through it was that they also brought up a lot of the privacy concerns with the machine. Then Bambu suddenly decided to update the machines to allow for offline mode, the timing of that release sus’s me out a bit, but could be purely coincidental. Either way I think it is a good idea to bring more attention to some of the privacy concerns as it really seems unnecessary to me.

I own a P1s it’s been a bit of a problem child. The ams jams, Bambu support solution is use our filament. The uploading files to them and the tenuous user agreement has never sat well.

It has been brought up ages ago but certainly needs to be brought forward. I rarely print anything I designed on it only design downloaded.

Stratasys has own in US the patent infringement. 27 million in damages. The disturbing part is what the verdict means. Purge towers , tool head self levelling. I wonder how that will impact the rest of the 3d printers? Very few these days don’t use a tool head self levelling of some sort, and purge towers are common.

Any thoughts?

It’s a worrying verdict, but keep in mind Bambu Lab will definitely appeal this decision. Plus, tech companies usually find clever software or hardware workarounds to avoid paying royalties. Hopefully, it won’t kill consumer innovation.