Beginners guide to resin printing

I look forward to the day resin use in consumer 3d printers is (at the very least) licenced, then ultimately banned in Canada.

@Michael I don’t think we will see that. I believe if the community starts to be careful and follow the ads for disposal it will not be needed. It is why it is important people get reminded, if everybody is just loosely goosey with it then the government might step in. We all need to self regulate, this is the goal of the government in the first place.

Companies will be the first target anyway, people printing in the basement small companies failing to follow guides they will get nailed. It will be the most effective way to demonstrate to the community that polluting is serious.

I have built boats for more than 30 years. Amateur and professionally where it was ½ or better of my income. Epoxy is similar to 3d resin for regulations. When I started it was unregulated and now shipping is controlled and it needs to be purchased (in quantity) from a professional dealer. That is it.

2 Likes

I don’t think it should be banned or licensed but education safety needs to be promoted. Everyone should need to view safety training courses before purchase. Water washable resin does NOT mean safe!!!

I do not think children should be allowed to use this technology it’s too dangerous. I see too many posts with people using them in small apartments. No parent would dream of allowing children to play with gasoline, but washing 3D prints in IPA with nasty dangerous chemicals “appears” to be OK with some parents.

If you want to print interesting fun objects with children then FDM printers are much more suitable.

1 Like

I work with chemicals everyday. Education is critical. @sgspenceley has that right I strongly second this. We all have a responsibility to bring up safety issues when appropriate. Education and basic precautions are necessary. I have been shocked many times by the cavalier attitude of some. Ignorance or just not thinking needs to be corrected and challenged, safety isn’t hard, it just requires a touch of common sense.

3 Likes