BL Touch doesn't work at all?

Glad to see you got it to work! These kind of problems are so infuriating because it’s hard to pinpoint, even more since it’s intermittent. Is it from the board, firmware, wires, connectors, defective bltouch… You could see how ecstatic I was yesterday (from how verbal I was) and It’s still working this morning!
As you said it might be because of the increased stroke, but I also saw that the magnet is inside a tube in the probe (and then glued to keep it in place), and I don’t know how they determine how far down the tube it has to be to have the right distance from the set screw. Might be a problem.

Yes, as yourself, I’m so excited and I totally agree with everything you’ve said. For me trying to diagnose problems while attempting to learn how all this stuff works is a daunting task. I also noticed the magnet inside the probe. The probe didn’t deploy again this morning after starting the printer and was okay after turning it off and gently deploying and stowing it by hand. I took it apart and found nothing which could cause problems for the probe to deploy but it’s very loose in there. I cleaned and reinstalled the probe and placed the top surface of the screw slightly higher than the BLT flange. Turned on the printer, did probe tests, so far so good. There’s definitely something up with that probe. BTW mine is version: 3.1 and NOT a clone.

We have a similar setup. My setup is BTT SKR v1.4 (but not turbo), genuine bltouch v3.1, 1meter extension cable, marlin 2.0.8.1. all these bought from 3dprintingcanada. keep me posted if you get it to work reliably.

If it happens again, I think you might be going the wrong way with the set screw. Mine worked after turning it in a little further after cleaning it.

Actually, I had initially done just that, turned it in 180deg from original factory setting per the Antclab site. It worked intermittently & was fine after manually moving the probe. So this time, after cleaning it, I decided to try it at a higher setting. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Everything is finally working. The BLTouch, the TFT35 and Micro Swiss direct drive are all working consistently and verywell. What a struggle. Even with excellent videos I noticed that some minor omettions in those videos caused me a lot of trouble. Not knowing that the BLT does a ‘self test’ when one turns on the printer or exactly how to update Marlin to the MB, not knowing the BTT TFT35 had it own software, not knowing other certain settings HAD to be selected in Marlin. Anyway, all I can say is there are fundamental problems one has to deal with when going through upgrades like I did. The one which surprised me the most was the fact that when we update firmware to the MB there’s no progress bar nor message informing the user as to whether the update was successful or not!? I’m sure you have all updated your computers , RC transmitters, mobile phones and noted we always have some kind of indication as to the progress or success of the update. I’m sure this can easily be done because I noted while watching YT that some peoples printers seem to have a progress bar during their updates. Anyway, my printer is fine now but what a horror show. Take care all.

1 Like

These printers are a collection of parts from diferent manufacturers assembled by a brand and they each need extensive teaching for them to talk to each other, thats if the parts are even any good.

The problem is all of the knowledge is tied up in users experiences, and in a crowd of experienced users instruction on a subject can easily assume a person already knows some underlying things that make it work.

In school they tell you that you need a book, but they are assuming you know how to turn pages.

3 Likes

Hi Glenn. Totally agree. I pity newbies to the hobby. They get a new printer download latest firmwares like Marlin, Pronterface, a Slicer…then try to learn how to use it via Youtube videos which are old and don’t even look like the latest firmware. People producing videos ASSUME the viewers already have experience or understand how things work. Example, I’ve done many firmware changes or updates to other non-3D printer related gadgets (PC’s, RC Transmitters, etc) but with 3D printers…unclear. I’ll post my question about that separately. I’d like to see Marlin completely reprogrammed into a GUI type application, one where the user simply fills in a screen proving the type of printer, MB, Drivers, Steppers, optional equipment, etc and default settings are done for you. It should give messages where there may be problems etc. I would even PAY MONEY for something like that. Using Marlin today and trying to understand those unfriendly error messages after compiling is nuts. It should be ‘user friendly’ and it is NOT! If one forgets to uncomment an item you’re screwed and will spend a lot of time trying to figure out what’s going on. Anyway, it is what it is. Thankfully, we have these forums where we can help each other out!

3D printers are the only product I know of that often out of the box doesn’t work at all or work well. That when a brand new product fails to work people take it apart to repair change and fix themselves, and not send it back. It is a remarkable business model for Creality and its associated companies. Don’t bother with R and D let the consumer do it for you and then adopt their alterations IF they don’t effect the bottom line.

Interestingly I get a Done! message when I update firmware, that said I have a Mac and of the four printers I own only 2 I can connect too .The other two there is no simple way to make them communicate. I have started to use a tinyisp instead.

1 Like

Every woodworking tool ever made won’t work properly out of the box heh! so there’s 100’s of years of precedence for this. The biggest problem is trying to compare these to mature products that were manufactured to be a specific model. When you buy a Maytag every part on it was made for that model and mostly the parts don’t change for the lifetime of making the product. If you know what everything is going to be in the end product you can really nail down all the software and stuff in between (wiring harnesses?)to be like you want with a nice GUI with tick boxes and drop-downs with every option at hand. I’m betting the production-style manufacturing printers are more like what @Rotorfreak is talking about, on the other hand for CNC-like production machines often a firmware update means changing the main control board and flying a tech from Germany of Japan to put it in.

1 Like

I like the thought process, I cannot say as anyone would update marlin that way. Don’t get me wrong I think I would be awesome if marlin handled firmware building like Duet does but the trick to that is that it has to be designed to work that day before you ever start creating the base firmware.

After I got out of the military I moved into computers, spent a couple of years doing network engineering and development. I have an excellent handle on the Marlin due mainly to me producing bug fixes in Borland C++. Its a difficult skill to acquire to do a one off build and I understand the frustration.

Its not an easy thing but I’m glad you got it up and running.

Jason,
Totally agree, during my lifetime I played a little with programming which fascinated me, unfortunately, I never actually learned how code complicated instructions. I’m a certified heavy equipment technician, specializing in diesel, gasoline, natural gas engines and gas turbine engines (specifically twin-paks). Give me any kind of engine and I’ll fix it for you. Program Marlin to my printer…yucky poopoo.
Yes, I’m very happy now because my printer is finally working even better than ever. My BLTouch works beautifully now as does the new MicroSwiss Direct Drive. I’m still not finished upgrading the printer. I’ve got a new 1000watt (410mm X 410mm) bed silicon heater (it’ll be powered by 110v, grounded and fused), 40amp Mosfet, ‘Z’ screw anti-backlash screws, filament runout sensor, I’m making a cooled enclosure for the MB which will be installed under the printer but isolated from it along with the PSU. I won’t say how much it cost me to do all this but I could have bought another printer with that expense. Was it worth it?? YES, because even though my printer has been down since March, I’ve learned a whole bunch and THAT alone was worth it. All I can say to anyone starting out is DON’T GIVE UP. Persevere and you will overcome. 3D printing can be frustrating but also very satisfying.
I appreciate forums like this one where people respect one another, have fun and solve problems. So “thanks” to everyone who helped me with my issues.

Hey @Rotorfreak

I agree with you 100% its a steep learning curve, Its part of the process, Its complicated. I like the problems I am a troubleshooter 100%. I am actually Lucky I found a niche job that is not like a job at all.

Jason

1 Like