Canadian made PLA+ is great

Evening printing community,
Just a quick inquiry, I purchased a bunch of pla+ earlier this year and have recently completed a larger print with it. I found that it seemed brittle after printing, compared to a number of other filaments I have used. The supports were exceptionally difficult to remove, they remove clean but would shatter into small fragments when force was applied. The adhesion to the print was very strong, difficult to remove.
Using the same settings as always.
Has anyone else experienced this ? I was running it at 210.

Brittle filament may mean it is “wet” and needs to be dried out. I had a roll like that and I put it in the dryer for 6 HRs and it came out very flexible. If you have a good first layer it can be difficult to remove especially on glass. 210 is what I generally print PLA+ at.

Agreed,
In this situation the filament was straight out of the packaging onto the printer. Seemed flexible when I loaded it, the brittle aspect I noticed with the supports after it was printed. Typically I find that supports are generally easy to remove and large sections will stay together. In this case they were very very well bonded to the print and would shatter into paint chips when being removed. Otherwise the print is great with no issues. The brittleness and the adhesion to the print surprised me.

Just stating “Canadian made” as the first words in the subject line isn’t helpful and implies that there’s something wrong with all “Canadian made” PLA+ filament.

Along with that, you provided no other context as to when the spool was purchased, how long it’s been out of the package and how it was stored.

My mistake, I had no intention of implying that there is something wrong with Canadian made products in the slightest.
" Canadian made PLA+" is the name of the product.

I purchased 7 rolls from 3d Printing Canada, ordered on Dec 31 2022, and it was delivered on Jan 3 2023, only a few days transit as I am in the same province. I opened the package on Saturday January 28th, it went directly on the printer and began an 86hr print.

Not a big deal, just thought I would check with the community in the event that it had specific settings that it worked best with, save myself the R&D as I have quite a bit to put to use.

I appreciate the insight.

Try another print with a roll of the same material and see if it is any different. If it isn’t then that’s the way it is. Try another different roll and see if it is different, if it is then it points to the formulation of the original roll.

1 Like

We have had great feedback on our Canadian-made PLA+ products. Like any manufacturing process, it’s possible that the odd roll could be bad or wet but the way we make the filament makes it very unlikely to have moisture in it out of the packaging.

The pellets get pre-compounded with pigment and premixed to create a new pellet that has colouring mixed thoroughly through it. This process is under high heat which turns the compound into a liquefied plastic. During this process, any and all moisture gets dumped into a water collection bucket. Next, the newly formed pellets get predried and extruded, however, all filaments when they are being made go through a bath of water to cool then get wound and sealed with a desiccant.

Anyway, long story short, we stand by every product we sell. If you have any issues at all please just let us know and we will make it right. Our team is available contact@3dprintingcanada.com

Thank you for your business.

The filament works great, I was simply inquiring if anyone had any experience with it as it pertains to settings as different filaments work best at specific settings.
It seems that my inquiry was poorly constructed and gave the impression that I was complaining about the product or questioning its quality, this was not the case at all. I am very much learning what is “normal” and what is not and that was the basis for the inquiry

Just out of curiosity, what type of cooling (toolhead) are you using with what settings?

I’m wondering if the filament print/cooling profile could have been contributing to the problems you initially encountered.

Im not sure, it is a stock CR10SproV2
I was wondering if the Z height for the supports required adjustment and that’s why they were more adhered to the print than usual? as far as cooling settings they would be default cura settings.
The only other abnormality was, I had to pause the print for about 1 min and it lost adhesion to the previous layer when it resumed. looks like it didnt have adhesion for about 50% of the way around on that first post pause layer. ended up recovering but the finished helmet has a split in it about halfway around where the pause occurred.
The final print is great, smooth, strong and detailed so the filament seems perfect.

Have you done a temperature tower for the material you’re using? Just thinking about it, it’s not a suggestion that anybody has put forward.

I’ve been surprised a few times by the best temperatures that are found with a tower compared to what Cura or the manufacturer suggests.

Here’s the one that I use:

“Pause”/“Resume” is hit or miss at the best of times as to whether or not the resulting print will have any issues. I’m not sure this is a data point can really be considered.

Let me know what you get with a temperature tower.

I always print “everything”, including different colours and brands at the same settings and it is usually just fine. I have not printed any of the “towers” temp or other types either.