So, my Carbon Fiber build surface arrived. Here are my initial thoughts:
It’s thick. Really thick. It’s straining my clips to the max.
My apologies for the slightly blurry photo. The camera wanted to focus on anything but the clip.
The surface seems to heat fairly evenly, but I do find that I have to set the bed temperature 10C above my target. In the photo below, the bed is set at 60C. Mind you, it’s tough to get an accurate reading since it’s such a reflective surface and, frankly, I’m not sure quite what setting to use on the FLIR i7 camera. I went with semi-matte.
As for adhesion, I’ve only tried PLA, so far. On larger, multi-part prints, the edges of the print started lifting, so there are certainly adhesion issues, and yes, I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol first. I ended up aborting the batch shown below and am printing them one-at-a-time which is just as well since I need to adjust hole sizes. In the middle of the build plate, I haven’t had any problems, but then again, on this printer, printing out to the edges has always been a problem.
The surface finish of the parts is almost like glass, but the pattern of the build plate is slightly visible.
The filament for this test is 3DPC Value PLA in Orange.