CR-20 Issues from Day 1

So I have had my CR-20 (not pro) for a while now and have had a number of issues from day one (miswired fans, have replaced the hot end twice, extruder twice, more nozzles than I care to admit) - I know that Creality is a hobbyist machine and it requires patience, but it appears that the CR-20 line has disappeared from the Creality site. Was this a line that was plagued with QC issues and they abandoned for other lines?

I am ready to throw in the towel with this machine and am trying to figure out which machine I should replace it with. Anyone have similar issues? what did you do to overcome them?

Thanks,

Welcome brain802.

Yes you are describing my artillery x1. There is very little that I did not adjust and change.

I own a Prusa, I assembled it from their instructions, ran out of the supplied gummi bears ( I failed to follow the proscribed amounts for each step) and that was the only issue I had. I have since seen two pre assembled machines they were flawless.

Mine has been running stock for 18 months, I have dropped in a heat cartridge (pinching the wires while changing nozzles = bad wires) nozzles and that is it.

Prusa has the reputation for a reason.

Have you thought of taking in and getting a tech to check it out?

1 Like

Yep - have taken it back a few times - then had to fix some of the fixes (fans plugged in incorrectly / plugged into wrong ports).

Figure by the time I pay for the hourly support rate and parts, I will be getting close to a new printer. And if that is the route I take, am trying to decide if I spend the extra $ to go with a Prusa.

I guess I am trying to figure out if I got a lemon (it happens) or if the issue is user generated (i.e. it’s me - which is always a possibility!) or if the Brand has issues. Given the love Creality gets, I am betting it is not the last option.

Creality seems to have a lot of new printers that get good reviews and have people excited - just trying to figure out if I go back for more - or try a different brand.

Note - I should mention - I did not purchase the printer (nor have it looked at) by the folks at 3D Printing Canada.

I have found there are a lot of printers out there that are ‘projects’ they might make ok prints out of the box but typically they get massive changes.

All you need to do is look through the internet and you will find how many have issues. I personally my printers are tools not hobbies. I get seriously frustrated by the you have to rebuild the printer to get decent reliable prints.

My sidewinder at the end of the day in parts doubled its cost and adding labour is 3-4 Prusas. I still can’t make use of the full print volume because it is not reliable.

Hobby or tool, to me the Creality printers and all of the associated brands are hobbies in themselves.

Thanks - is an interesting viewpoint (brands as hobbies themselves). Had not thought of it that way.

Definitely gives me something to think about.

1 Like

I am a photographer, there are people whom buy a camera and lenses and accessories and shoot tests over and over. I see that same, buy a printer and change things print tests change something over and over.

I am not being critical of them in fact I have a lot of respect for them. They develop better firmware and methods that I can piggy back on their efforts. In many ways they are far more valuable than people like me. They move the technology along, I don’t.

I just want a printer that works out of the box so I can concentrate on what I am interested in. My Prusa is that for me, stock and low maintenance, 100% reliable. Not very interesting if the printer is the hobby.

It is always possible that youve gotten a lemon.

I got into 3d printing to learn it as a hobby, so im one of those people who keep fixing it till its broke XD.

I own an AdimLab Gantry-s and recently a prusa mini.

The Adimlab prints well enough at times, but ive been poking around enough at it that im happy with my results.

The prusa mini has worked like a turn key printer out of the box.

If you want to just print and not try out fiddeling here and there, id say it may be time to cut your losses and get a prusa. Its hard to regret it apart from the wait time.

If your willing to give your cr-20 a bit more of a shot, id be happy to try and walk you through troubleshooting it. Most 3d printers work on simmilar principles, but it can be super frustrating when you arent sure shere to start or what should you be expecting.

It is always possible that youve gotten a lemon.

I got into 3d printing to learn it as a hobby, so im one of those people who keep fixing it till its broke XD.

I own an AdimLab Gantry-s and recently a prusa mini.

The Adimlab prints well enough at times, but ive been poking around enough at it that im happy with my results.

The prusa mini has worked like a turn key printer out of the box.

If you want to just print and not try out fiddeling here and there, id say it may be time to cut your losses and get a prusa. Its hard to regret it apart from the wait time.

If your willing to give your cr-20 a bit more of a shot, id be happy to try and walk you through troubleshooting it. Most 3d printers work on simmilar principles, but it can be super frustrating when you arent sure shere to start or what should you be expecting

1 Like