Creating Lethophane

Well, as promised, good or bad that I would report back. I was busy so this reply is a bit delayed. A huge thanks to your help, and it did work out for the most part. I followed all your instructions to the letter and this is the final result…

2 Likes

However, the result was not flawless. The right bottom corner had somehow curved slightly upwards. The adhesion on the backside had for some reason separated from the bed. Wish I knew why. But asides from that, the complete print had turned out great as far as I am concerned especially for a first time. Hopefully the picture will better show what I tried to explain.

Nice!! You can try to slow the print a bit
Some I prints at 50 but for fine details at 40mm/s with PLA+
It might help with bed adhesion
Picture turnout nice!!

Thank you. I did not play with speed settings so I cannot even tell you what they are set at. Whatever factory settings are is what I printed it at. I am going to clean th emat with hot soapy water tonight shortly. As well, prior to the print, I did clean it with 91% alcohol so it would have better adhesion, but you see how that worked out… Lol.

Next time, I will try something new.

The main thing is you modified the pic and set it in Lithophane and got a good print of it!!
Great job!!
I’m still discovering new thing in that! Lol
Waiting on filament now I got a lamp with that dog with 4 pic on it, made a custom base and cover in Freecad

Is white filament always the best to use?

Because it is in shade of grey yes white would be the best but light colour material will also do if you have a good contrast image it will show better. I did some in yellow and in pink, yellow was a bit better then the pink, so flesh, bone white, natural filament colour should be fine. It’s really up to you how you wants it to look.
There is a way in itslitho.com to change the material colour to see roughly what it will look like.

1 Like

I wonder if a filament’s light transmittance would matter more than colour and is that a metric you can buy filament by?

I dont have translucent material but I’d be curious how it would come out!!

I didn’t mean translucent per se but some materials are more opaque than others and it would help is there was a value you could use to pick a material that way.

Yes it would, but the thickness of material lay down is very dependent of the contrast. For the most part I printed the wall was at .8 using a 0.4 nozzle so it lays 2 layers outside the image.
I small test piece could be done to check how light would show through the material.
This here could help.

1 Like

oh yes that would be helpful for sure.

1 Like

So it has been a couple of weeks since my last print of anything. But I just wanted to share that tonight I did another print, and of all things, it was my nemesis. Another Lithophane. It was a bit bigger at 4" wide by 3" tall. Took just under 5 hours to do. While it was much better than my firs as it did not lift up off the bed as did my first. Just near the top, basically at the top frame, it leaned back ever so slightly, but overall, I am very happy with it. Again, thank you @Amiro62 for your help and dedication with making these. It is greatly appreciated.

I would post a picture, but it is of someone else that did not want it posted, so I will respect their wishes. Sorry. And if it was one of myself, you all would NOT want to see that!

1 Like

That’s is excellent and as time goes you’ll creat better and better!!
Lately it is one that kept me busy doing Lithophane it was in high demand, some took a lot of time between re-touching the pics set them and 3D design some parts for them.
I did a few lamps , very popular!! Longer to do but nice, and some night light.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I really like the nightlight idea. I just may have to try that one day. A good test to see if my printer is up to it. And if and when you may have some free time, may I please ask at what height or how tall your nightlight are made, so I have an idea as to how big to make one. Again, I will not get to it for a few days, so no rush. Thank you.

1 Like

Here is my settings for the night light I get from store ($1.59)
Around $0.47 = 16g
I did those at 0.16 layers
3hrs 35min set at 0 infill
Shell line count set at 5
I used Arc Welder in Special Modes (took from Maketplace in Cura)

NIGHT LIGHT

SHAPE OPTIONS

Shape Arc

Height 80mm

Angle 180

FRAME OPTIONS

Thickness 2.5mm

Depth 3mm

Angle 30

QUALITY OPTIONS

mm per pixel 0.1mm

Preview High

ATTRIBUTES

Nightlight Selected

Distance 10mm

Width 16.4mm

Depth 25mm

Thickness 1.8mm

IMAGE OPTIONS

Adjust as required for image to fit in as you like.

I haven’t read nearly all the posts on here but I saw the last few here. I used to sell lithophane night lights on etsy, however I haven’t been able to for a while cause I haven’t been able to find an incandescent night light anywhere (all the led ones I’ve tried aren’t bright enough). I used to buy them from Walmart but they don’t seem to carry them in Canada anymore.:thinking:

These are both pictures of Nova Scotia here the first one is actually of a stack of apple bins on our farm.

3 Likes

Did you check stores like Dollarama, Dollar stores, I gets them in a store here called General Store they have 2 kinds there 1.59 and 1.99
Some I wanted a bit brighter i picks up bulb at Canadian Tire