Cura is kicking my but today

just comparing G code now I sliced it thinner so I have to look at it again, after dinner heh

well, the G-code file is way bigger than I expect. I sliced the model with the same detail and got a file 1/3 the size of yours. When I open the G-code file in Cura directly it doesnā€™t show anything being wrong, same 92 layers. when i compare them to mine I canā€™t match any of the movements but your steps/mm are likely completely diferent than mine and maybe bed size difference might cause the actual coordinates to be diferent. I was expecting line by line movements to correspond if not being identical and it looks like they do until it hits a layer where there is a large section with no corresponding movements in mine I think thats where your odd lines start and they arenā€™t in the file I sliced myself.

Glen, I opened just one copy in Cura and then used the multiply command to make the duplicates. I did spread them out so that I could use the ā€œprint one at a timeā€ function.

This is not a problem for me as I would bulk print them individually anyway. It is more of a curiosity, a problem to be solved but it is beyond my poor skills.

ahhI see.

I opened the model in Prusaslicer and also got an error. see below.

Iā€™ll try print at once on it and see what i get

What Cura version are you on? seems itā€™s ok one at a time on mine too. Iā€™m sure this is a glitch in the software somehow, not your skills, we all learn when these things happen. Cura and Prusa Slicer both can fix small errors in models but there might be a version difference. I think Prusa got a new version today i had to update it this morning when I started it.

I have 4.11.0

I didnā€™t upgrade to 4.12 yet because there is a bug in how it transfers print profiles between versions. It seems strange that one is OK but printing multiples is funky. Yes Iā€™m old so Iā€™m allowed to say funky.

1 Like

Cura is up to 4.13, and it imports profiles properly now

1 Like

Just hit (usually) ScreenPrint. That usually takes a screenshot. Ctrl, Shift or Alt-ScreenPrint are modifiers on many systems. I think itā€™s just Print on a Mac. On my Linux system ScreenPrint prints the whole screen including menu bar and any other visible windows, Alt-ScreenPrint is just the current window, and Shift-ScreenPrint lets me draw a crop box to capture only a portion of a window.

Then comes the problem of figuring out where the screenshot went. On my flavour of Linux, they get put in ~/Pictures/Screenshots.

This is a screen shot (I actually figures it out) of the same part in Prusa, notice the holes.

that is the weirdest thing, They are not even all on curves or corners? you have me stumped on that one

I think the wall thickness of this model is the wrong multiplier for the layer width. I donā€™t know if you have the original model for this but in Cura if you scale the part 101% and in Prusa by 93% the holes go away. itā€™s happening I think because the slicer doesnā€™t think it can make the transitions at the starts and curves. I forget if I had Arcwelder on in Cura, might affect it.
you might be able to edit the original model to thicken the walls a little.

It prints fine in Cura the holes are Prusas problem. Just another curiosity.

I downloaded Cura version 4.13 today and the extensions and print profiles did not carry over from 4.11. Is there something extra that has to be done to do this. When I updated to 4.9, 4.10 and 4.11 it was done automatically. This seems to be the same problem that 4.12 had.

Did it install in a new directory? Iā€™ll have a look at mine and see how its installed. I have it on 2 computers and I know the shop desktop preserved everything I think my laptop was many versions behind. Iā€™ll report back with what I did to make the installations the same.

When I installed 4.13 it asked if I wanted to uninstall 4.12. I said no and it carried everything over. I just uninstalled 4.12 and it asked if I wanted to remove my configuration files, I said no. Fired up 4.13 and all is good with my settings.

I just tried that and no joy everything went with 4.11.

so you installed a newer version and it still says itā€™s 4.11?

mine has worked every time except on my laptop which I wasnā€™t using for slicing. went from version 4.8 to 4.12 and had to install my plugins again. configs always made it through. I copied the ones from my shop computer and it made everything the same.

Cyberneso 11 looks like a scam/spam.

No it says it is 4.13 it just didnā€™t carry over the extensions and print profiles. If I did something wrong I donā€™t know what. It isnā€™t that big a deal I can download the extensions again and I didnā€™t have many profiles. It is very annoying and something that shouldnā€™t happen these days.

This looks like the bug in 4.12.

I know the feeling,

I got kind of bitter on Cura between 4.5 and 4.6 upgrade, it blew away all of my machine, filament and profiles. Never did recover them. Since then I always select to not uninstall previous version until I have the new one running, that way I can manually pull them from the file system if something goes south.