Cura vs Prusaslicer huge time difference

So I have a lot of overnight prints I do. And I notice prusa us faster but I can’t figure out why. here is a long one of something I can experiment with I don’t need it to be perfect. Where can I find what makes the difference of some 9 hours. both are 0.16mm layer height, 3 walls, and 15% infill

Prusa

Cura

1 Like

Glenn I am not sure, it is a lot of time. I wonder if it is more efficient tool paths and not printing movements?

1 Like

I’ve noticed that too. On some longer prints it can cuts hours out of the time compared to Cura.

I’ve been meaning to check my acceleration (and infill print speeds) setting in both slicers, I have a feeling it has soemthing to do with that.

If you go line by line i’ve noticed that is uses slightly different toolpaths at times, so that is also part of my working hypothesis on why it’s faster.

I suppose it might be informative to isolate one particular layer in each of the gcode files and count how many individual commands are required to make that layer. Try this for the first layer, the last layer and some randomly selected layers and see if one slicer is consistently using fewer commands to generate the layer.

2 Likes

good idea, I thought someone might know offhand what it would be

1 Like

I think it’s all in the print speed and also the quality difference I see is related. by default, prusaslicer sets the perimeters to 60mm/s where cura is 30mm/s in Prusa I can set a different speed for external walls vs internal walls. prusa also powers through the infill at 80 mm/s

1 Like

I do find cura dose a better job st supports over prusaslicer.

Both with the fact it has tree supports, but even just normal supports. If i automatically let prusaslicer do supports everywhere, i find it goes a bit overkill. Meaning i have a hole in a phone stand im printing and prusaslicer decided it need to support the hole from both sides of the print. While cura seems to realise it can support the hole from one side.

Here is the phone stand i print frequently.

1 Like