Customizing for very small parts

I’ve been experimenting with some new filaments lately, including a polycarbonate, and a carbon fiber PETG.
I’m having some challenges trying to get them tweaked in a test print. The test print I’ve been using is the All-in-one NANO 3D printer test *NANO* All In One 3D printer test by steeveeet - Thingiverse
I’m having some different issues on different parts of the print: some appear to me to be extruder temp too low, and other areas it’s melting the filament, so that obviously the temp is too high.
Some of it relates to the layer times on smaller areas of the print, and I’ve attempted to try to change the fan speed to compensate.

When you tune your slicer profile (*'m using Cura 5.3) for a new filament, do you try to tune it for all cases, or do you create a special profile for very small prints?
This is an example of a test print, (polycarbonate), but similar for other filaments.

This is CF PETG. I seem to have a choice between poor layer adhesion and not melting everything.

This is an example of a small print that had problems with melting on the upper layers. I was able to solve this with turning the fan on.

Hi there!

One thing you may want to try is turning the printer speed down, some of the higher grade and higher temperature materials print better at slower speeds. Try cutting your print speed in half or even lower and see if it helps your print quality at all. If it gets better you can start to increase it until you find the right speed for your printer!

Hope this helps,
Matthew

1 Like

If you are printing small towers try enabling “min layer time”, give the filament time to cool before you put on another hot filament layer.

1 Like

Thanks, Matthew, Jason.
I’ll work on these two items, and see what happens.

Gerald

For “weirder” materials, I often use 40mm or less. Or I’ll put a sacrificial part on there to increase layer time. Seems to work.

The ‘sacrificial’ part is a good idea.

1 Like