Delta printers?

What’s the consensus on these types of units?
Might be able to get one that needs attention fairly cheap.

1 Like

From what I have seen of them, when they need work they need ALOT.

Generally, if they work well they don’t come up for sale. Would be nice for a project though if u did find the bones.

2 Likes

I own a delta, the parts need to be light, that means fragile. They are fiddly lots of small delicate arms and things. The are fun to watch and often print quickly.

2 Likes

This would be my next printer, they just look like fun.

2 Likes

I agree, I think watching them would be the most fun, THanks for letting us know @kitedemon always better to hear from someone who owns one.

Do you find that they are more expensive to maintain or the same as any other printer?
That actually gives me a thought of a new thread…

Jason H

2 Likes

The design seems pretty simple but are lead screws or belts better?

And also. bearings on rods or linear rails better?

1 Like

I have one of each Delta, Cartesian. Delta (Predator) is good for things with wicked overhangs as the model doesn’t move and therefore vibrate which can cause layer shift it is also quicker than the CR10 V2 but it is huge and I have a hot end problem which is bowden tube based (trying to fix)

1 Like

Delta’s are Mesmerizing to watch!!

Jason is Right though they’re Like never up for sale, people covet them like gold.

When they’re working it’s Perfect, FAST!

When they Fail, it’s normally because they need a lot of parts OR bent Arms

I have a 3 colour Blender unit, GeeeTech Rostock 301 3 Colour model

Hasn’t printed a part since Late 2018…
The Board on it looks like a GTM32 it has 32bit CPU on it, in 2017!
I also haven’t sat down and made new Arms for it, I Bought Carbon fibre Arrow shafts and fresh Hiem joints. Just never got to it. Keep back burner it.

Also GeeeTech hasn’t released Firmware update EVER for it

2 Likes

We run across them sometimes Fanuc makes one. Here’s one, or rather 4 … usually they are for more complex jobs than this though. We see them in pharma applications mostly, they work well with machine vision.

1 Like

Very cool…

Ok the under 20 characters limit is annoying.

3 Likes

yes it is …

1 Like

If you like and you are able to do some tinkering and repairs then go for the Delta as a 2nd printer.

With all these low cost printers you are likely to have some issues. I
I have both CR6se (non-Delta) and QQ-S (Delta) printers and I like both of them.
I got the QQ-S while waiting for parts to repair the CR6se…

Both are “currently” working well but the Delta is faster and like others say: its fun to watch.

Didn’t end up getting it afterall. Missed the opportunity.

I did however pick up a Tevo Tornado for a C note. Just updated the firmware and getting an SD card initialization issue figured out.

The machine was loose everywhere, bed, z and a few mounts. Don’t understand how people don’t notice these things and then complain that a printer is terrible.

@TLW3D unfortunately it happens a lot. taking time to put it together initially properly is more important than people give it credit for. I have a cycle for all my printers, ever other month they get taken offline and given the once over and blown out for dust, keeps em running smoothly.

I’ve got two (complete noob here) and the main reason I Got deltas was for the print volume. and relatively small footprint compared to cartesian printers.

I first got an Anycubic Mini and then a Tevo Little Monster last summer: it is an absolute beast… I almost crippled myself getting it home and up into my office (85 lbs).
As I got both used (mostly to test the 3d printing waters), I learned the basics of 3d printing on the Anycubic before I bought the Monster.

Being used, I wound up having to mostly rebuild them both (original owners were less than mechanically inclined) to get them up to spec. So far, periodic oiling of the print arm joints has been sufficient maintenance other than ensuring all screw are snug. The only problems I’ve had with the Tevo has been nozzle jams (mostly user error) which appears to have been resolved… thankfully, D3 Printing Canada has a great supply of spare and upgrade parts!

All that being said, watching them print is fascinating in itsself.

@smeg welcome to the forum,

Look forward to seeing you on here, be sure to post pics of your favorite prints and upgrades.

Jason

1 Like

Does anyone have any ideas why delta printers seem to be out of fashon now? All i can find is the monoprice mini and flsun.

@chris Do you think 3DPC will ever stock a delta printer?

1 Like

@Dr.Marvin
Hello Dr.MArvin.

Yes, we have been considering the TriLabs DeltiQ 2. They’re an Exception Printer!

The one we bought for testing came with:
Duet2 WiFI control board,
E3D Titan Drive.
TriLabs Remote Extruder Drive. (Like a Zesty Nimble),
Raspberry Pi4,
Integrated Camera, for watching the Print.
and a RedMi Cellphone as a control Screen!

3 Likes

Neat. That looks like its off to be a solid delta printer. Ill be watching for it to come :slight_smile:

The first time I ever saw a delta robot was at the RTLToronto “Project X” competition. Built by Iain Hendry, who, at the time, worked for Funac Robotics. Built out of Lego, it appears very briefly in the video at 2:25. It wasn’t part of the competition, just a curiosity he brought along. The fundamental problem with Delta Robots is they can’t carry much of a load and in order to achieve high speeds, the end effector has to be very light. The motors needed to put a sensor and grip on Iain’s robot would have been too heavy. It’s still a problem with Delta Printers today.

https://youtu.be/tHAbEc7eJ7w
Man was I thin back then. Anyway, great fun. I miss those days.

1 Like