Design programs - Which is best?

Tell us about your experiences with 3D design software!

From Inventor to Solidworks, and Catia to NX. Let us know what you think the best 3D modelling method is!

I have previous experience with AutoCAD and have been trying out Fusion 360. I like it you can import some items and I find it easy to use. You can draw in 2d and extrude parts. Fairly straightforward. Some limitations on the free hobby version but it allows importing of parts from McMaster Carr catalog.

1 Like

I design and make packaging equipment so for design clients I have to use Solidworks but these days I’m using mostly fusion360 (they just had a sale too) because I also have to provide programs for CNC for some parts to be made. Solidworks works best on approved hardware, especially video. it’s frustrating with big models if the hardware isn’t up to snuff. It’s also freaking expensive. Fusion has been a lot more stable for the last … 2 years at least on my computers.

1 Like

I’ve been using FreeCad and starting to get use to it, I used AutoCAD in the past for 2D stuff and work stuff but for 3D FreeCad is in between where you can design in 2D and transform it into 3D.
There is a lot of good video in Youtube I like the Dr Vax series he takes his time to explane and I picked up quite a few trick for 3D printing and of course the 3D designs

1 Like

I started out on thingiverse, which I still use for general editing. I got fusion360(free for hobbyists, but with some new restrictions). there is a learning curve to fusion, but when you get comfortable with it, it is a very powerful tool. its great for designing anything, but has the limitation of not being very good at editing imported stl files. this is my favorite program to use.

1 Like

Ive tried useing fusion 360, but so far its been too steep of a learning curve to be effective with it. I tried tinkercad but didnt like the look of it at the time. Tbh i should give it another shot.

I have a star/sun gear system i want to copy and attempt to sell, but im not quite ready to design it yet.

1 Like

I started out with Google SketchUp, which was free and pretty useable

I now have moved to fusion 360 for almost everything. I did a night class and worked with SolidWorks, which Very powerful and similar to Fusion however I kept reaching for my keyboard shortcuts for fusion while working in it.

1 Like

Offering a class, even an online one would be an interesting idea. I know id take you guys up on it. There was a youtube video series i found where a guy goes through the basics essentially taking a random electrical junction box and makes a copy of it. I ran into some trouble/got distracted and never finished it though.

1 Like

Yep, that was Lars, he is actually an instructor at Autodesk,

he has forgotten more about fusion than I know

1 Like

I currently use Fusion 360 for my designs. I basically learned from that absolute beginner series by Lars Christensen. Highly recommend it if you’re learning how to use Fusion 360.

1 Like

Solidworks gang where are you at??

I started with Fusion 360 but I am more used to Solidworks with its organization system for parts, extrusions, features, etc. Although I guess I use it since that’s what we’re taught in school too haha.

1 Like

Right here! Solidworks and Catia are my absolute favourite programs to use!

I went the other way I went from Generic CAD- AutoCad- Mastercam- Solidworks-Fusion 360. I find Fusion is better for top down design which is mostly how I work. I’ve started adding sketchbook into my workflow too but i’m still learning the software and how to draw with it. To be honest I think I was more productive in Generic CAD and Mastercam than anything else (way back when). but that was only 2d

2 Likes

Last night I stumbled across something called MatterControl. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet, but it runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. On Linux you need the latest version of Mono and I have an unresolved dependency that’s preventing me form installing it right now. I found it at 4:30 in the morning, so after some sleep I’ll revisit the problem. In the meantime, maybe someone else can check it out and get back to us.

1 Like

Yeah… those unresolved dependencies, man. I have two, both 4 years old lol.

I am learning freecad, the license on fusion 360 has kinda kept me leery as to the uninitiated it seems restrictive, but there is a udemy course I’ve been thinking of checking out on it when it comes on sale so maybe.

2 Likes