E3d Revo preorders today

So they are atarting preorders today. Im on the fence about it.

Who else is going to preorder? Why or why not?

I am going to wait. I have the Prusa XL pre ordered and the hot end is similar, compatible? different? My plan is to get the XL get rid of the sidewinder. Then look at upgrading my Mk3+ to one of the new hot ends. depending on compatibility. I am sold on the X nozzle so i hope by the time all this happens it will be an option.

We are on the cusp of a jump in 3d printing. The innovations of the XL auto leveling and the new hot ends. I am excited to see what shakes out.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar place to kitedemon, with the added detail of “I have no money right now.”

I am very fed up with the multiple-parts-butted-to-each-other design of current hotends, so the Revo looks perfect for me. But I’ve pre-ordered an XL and need to save for that (and an impending condo levy) so every penny counts just now.

I’m also running a micro swiss direct drive with a BL-Touch on an Ender-5, and right at the moment there doesn’t seem to be a simple upgrade path for that. I was looking at the “how to upgrade your Ender 3” guide on E3D’s site and it looks like the Revo Micro is basically what I want… but I’m not sure how the BL-Touch will fit in that, and I’m not 100% certain that the Micro will fit on the Micro Swiss mounting plate as-is.

So, my current plan is to keep an eye on things, and see what’s going down in six months when I might actually have some spare money, and when the community has had a chance to play with the more exotic configurations.

2 Likes

Tom S speaking on it. I know I will be very interested when there is a hardened nozzle. I am hopeful Prusa will have the system they are introducing as an upgrade for the MK4s+

1 Like

I’ve pre-ordered mine since I often like to swap out the hot end depending on the project I’m working on. I’m hoping for a hardened nozzle, but I guess we’ll have to see if that becomes an option.

2 Likes

I mean, they’ve already said they intend to make a hardened nozzle. I’m sure that, as long as there’s enough uptake on the system to show it’s a viable market, they’ll make all the nozzles we could dream of; that’s it’s main selling point after all.

2 Likes

Just the other day I was saying to a friend, also a user of 3D printing, that heat breaks and nozzles should be integrated, because most hot-end problems are caused by them not meeting properly. Within a day, I saw the Sanladerer video where he gives an overview of the Revo.
I expect that, if E3D is even a bit generous about licensing terms (*) this design will displace the v6.

(*) I’m actually quite sympathetic to their having patented aspects of the design. Imagine putting in all the effort to create an innovative product, and then the effort to design a market-ready version of it, and then immediately having another company copy it and take all the proceeds.
I want one, but won’t get one because I can’t afford it.

1 Like

This really is a good idea I’m wondering how the nozzle is held to the heartbreak though it looks like 2 materials there. I think now we are in a period where the designs of these will substantially improve as the companies attract better talent in design, the no-talent thieves are nipping at their heels. I work in a competitive/mature industry segment where all the people that innovated are gone and all the players are just stealing ideas from each other. The patents don’t really make sense unless you are a really big company and can afford to chase all the lawyers around and in a small margin product it’s hard to justify. It’s better to just improve what you have then tell the market how the old stuff they are copying is inadequate… and may in fact hurt their cat. There is no better feeling than dropping a new design that instantly makes the old stuff obsolete at the apex of their investment in what they need to copy you.

1 Like

That’s a lovely thought, but it’s a cycle you can repeat only so often, especially when the pirates are well-funded, even government-supported.

1 Like

pirates only know how to steal, they put no value into inventing new things. and this only works if you are the innovator they are stealing from, If nobody notices what you are making then it won’t matter anyway.

2 Likes

There isn’t really anyway to stop pirates. the only way to make a difference is to buy from the innovators and not from the pirates. I will (try, its hard to avoid by times) not buy a printer again with cloned / copied parts.

1 Like

That’s exactly right, you don’t need to stop them really just support the ones that are innovating. and don’t penalize them for trying to make something different and better.

1 Like