Empty spool weights

When you say “they take them back”, who are “they”? Do you mean 3CPC or is there some other local place that takes spools?

Eurekatech is a place. They make filament near Halifax I picked up a dozen rolls last week

1 Like

I was just there today picking up an order. They ‘normally’ take empty spools and will give you credit for them. Currently we are on lockdown and they are not. The first order I got from them all the spools were the wood printed versions. This order only one is. I guess the spool weight for them is a bit pointless.

Do you mean the spools are actually made of wood? Am I understanding that right?

Do they take plastic spools? More importantly; do they take plastic spools you didn’t buy from them?

yes laser cut mdf with 3d printed cores.

yes, plastic spools yes, yes purchased anywhere.

The house brand filament is not only Canadian, but local made (to me). It also prints well and is a reasonable price.

1 Like

Phillips head screws… interesting. are they drywall screws? Pricey way to make these spools.

I didn’t pull one out but they do look like drywall screws.

I wonder if they have a laser there and just made them there.

I would assume. I don’t know
:man_shrugging:

I checked the services lazer cutting and CNC as well.

Today, well yesterday I started a long print. It was a 30 hour one, slicer calculated it would take 390 grams of filament. I weighed the spool and subtracted the estimated spool weight and arrived with 404 gms. I made the print figuring I would need to keep an eye on it.

It completed, there is some filament left.
IMG_4623 IMG_4624

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

that is a reference from my nomenclature regarding the appearance of the spools. there’s a manufacture in China that is their trademark for their spools. they look like:

That Company Hex*** Shenzhen can’t remember name right now, make Spools for MANY filament Suppliers!! their Spools are all similar weight :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3DXTECH “Dryer Safe” Spools - 2 Bolts = 280g

1 Like

It stands to reason that most companies don’t produce their own spools. They appear to be mostly injection molding and that is cheap at scale.

The weights demonstrate that so many are so similar.

2 Likes