Ender 5 Plus: Hotbed Failure

Hello Fellow 3DP

I am reaching out with a problem with my Hot Bed. I was doing some bed leveling adjustments over the weekend via OctoPrint and Bed Visualizer, when out of no where the half way through the bed mesh, I received a ‘STOPPED – Heater ID’

I power cycled the printer, restarted the OctoPrint server, and when I tried to pre-heat to 60° (heating it up in steps of 5°) it would hold for a bit then fail. After more troubleshooting, I was only able to pre-heat upto 45° before failure, now it won’t even attempt a pre-heat.

Currently, when you power on the printer, it will read 29° ambient temperature. If you choose a pre-heat temperature it will sit at 29° before it fails. I am unsure of this is a thermistor, power connection, or power supply issue. I have checked the checked all the connections on the bed, and a couple preliminary checks on the PSU and nothing seems out of place.

I did change out the binder clips for the spring tentioned bed clips (see attached), and I noticed a couple of contacts on the back of the bed, is it possible it shorted out the bed(if even possible)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Lumpy

Unfortunately shorting it out is a very real possibility. If its fuse is protected hopefully you just blew the fuse.

The only way to troubleshoot this is to work the problem with a voltage meter.

IF AT ANY TIME YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE PLEASE STOP AND SEEK PROFESSIONAL ADVICE
OK, that had to be said, But seriously, following this, you will have live 120V current in an open environment where your fingers will be. Please be careful.

Remove the bottom of the printer and turn it on its side and open the bottom.
Before you plug it in identify the following items
Heater bed
Wiring that runs from the heater bed to the MosFet or SSR or Mainboard
Identify if your printer has an SSR or Mosfett
Identify the model number and manufacture of the mainboard

• First step first, Power on the printer and you should see 1 or 2 lights on the control board light up
    Now call for bed heat, You should see one additional light come on the mainboard, If you are equipped with an SSR or the like you may be an additional light come on with it as well. This will error shortly so prepare to power cycle for the next step.
  • Note as to if your heated bed is AC powered (uses an SSR) or DC powered (you will see a MOSFET) or the cables from the bed will go DIRECTLY to the control board
  • 3rd verify the power supply is outputting the correct voltage, Check the output on the power supply and ensure it is putting out 12 or 24VDC based on your particular printer
  • 4th, use your meter and verify the input voltage of the control board is the same as the output voltage of the power supply
  • next Verify with your meter that the output on your mainboard is currently 0 VDC
  • Next call for bed heat, the output in the previous step should jump to 24VDC, If not Board is more than likely damaged, If successful go to the next step
  • If you are equipped with an SSR, verify the input to the SSR is 120VAC, Verify at the trigger that the 12 or 24 from the control board is reaching the SSR
  • If you are equipped with a Mosfett, It will be a similar procedure, Verify you are seeing a constant 24 VDC source, and check to ensure the trigger on the Mosfet is receiving the same voltage that is output by the control board, If not the wiring is at fault. If you have voltage at the input and the trigger is working, but nothing at the output, Means the MOSFEt/SSR is dead
  • If you are getting appropriate controllable output from the Mosfett/SSR but no voltage at the bottom of the bed, The wiring for the bed is broken.
  • If you are getting proper voltage at the bed but the bed is not heating up, The bed will need to be replaced.

In order to confirm the bed is dead you MUST have followed the whole procedure above.

Let us know how you make out, I like these troubleshooting ones

Hey Jason,

Sorry about the delayed reply, got your instructions as I was leaving for Vacation!

I have gone through the steps and when I got to testing the Mosfet Board, I attached my voltage meter, called for the bed to heat. If I have the meter checking voltage on the main board, I get a blue light on the Mosfet and it starts to heat up, remove the voltage meter, blue light turns off, and I am pretty sure it would error out.

I would assume this is either the Mosfet being dead, or the controller board (all other voltage reads came back positive 24V (±.2))

Can you show how you’re wiring in the SSR along with its part number?

It isn’t possible to make it out but I suspect that you probably have a wiring problem rather than something dead.

Hey Mykepredko,

So I was not this notification, I was like “no way it’s it wiring issue, I’ve been running this wiring for over a year…”

I flip the printer over to get the photo and notices that the Positive wire for the Heated Bed had come loose. Unmounted the Board, checked the connector, secured it back into place, pre-heated to 40°, and then to 60°, finally to 70° with no issues.

I’ll have to do a quick bed level, and I’ll have to do a test print.

The cable going to the Mosfet looked a little flat, what is the best way to attach them without crushing them?

I do appreciate it, working in I.T it’s usually the easiest answer :joy:

1 Like

Glad you found your problem.

What do you mean “cable going to the Mosfet looked a little flat”? I don’t see anything that looks like a problem in your photographs.

It doesn’t look like there is a current limiting resistor from your controller board to the MOSFET board - that could cause problems down the road with the optoisolator on the MOSFET board burning out down the road. Does it get hot when the bed heater is running?