Extruder stopped working

Hi Guys
I have a 2 year old Ender 3, with a v 1.1.4 board, that was printing fine but part way through my last print the extruder quit.
I could not move it manually so I plugged in the x axis cable and was able to turn the stepper manually.
With the x axis cable still in the extruder motor, I swapped the cables at the board. No movement at all so it’s not the cable or the stepper.
I’m pretty sure it’s the board but there is no visible damage.
Any ideas?
If I have to replace the board, I’m thinking of upgrading to the 4.1.7 silent board. Is this a good board?
Thanks

Boards die. Have a quiet funeral, close friends only and carry on. :innocent:

Are you sure you mean the 4.1.7 MB and not the 4.2.7 MB?

A 4.2.2 (silent stepper version) or the 4.2.7 MB’s would be good choices but availability and price might enter into it with the chip shortage. Shop around. There are also MB’s from other brands that might work fine but that might have firmware compatibility issues, IE: sourcing firmware that will work with it. Our hosts here sell compatible boards and may be able to suggest the best one for you.

I had the same problem on my Ender 3 in the past and I upgraded to the BTT SKR Mini E3 v2.0. The board upgrade was definitely worth it in my opinion.

The 32bit board brings many advantages over the stock 8bit board and the ability to run Marlin 2.0 firmware and the added printing features and safety features it includes are great.

(For more info on differences between 32bit and 8bit boards, please see a previous post by Jason - 8bit vs 32bit Control Boards)

The board itself is a direct drop in replacement with the mounting holes and board connectors matching the original Creality board layout. The install was straightforward and the printer was back up and running in very little time!

We hope to hear from you soon!
Chris

The 4.2.2 and 4.2.7 are 32 bit boards and they work just fine. It is a matter of availability, with the chip shortage and whether they are currently available. For that matter if any particular boards are currently available. :sob:

Thanks guys
I have decided to go with the 4.2.7 board and have sourced one for a decent price. Thanks for all your advice.

1 Like