Filament recommendation for high temp part

I have a part I designed that adaptfs a 3 inch copper pipe to 2 inch PVC. I printed it with PLA at 20 % but after some time with the pipe temperature cycling between 60 and 180 degrees F it became discolored and brittle to the point that it started falling apart. I thought pehaps printing it at 100% would let it survive the environment but on last inspection it is also crumbling.

I have been Googling for a chart showing the safe working temperatures of the various filaments available but no joy. I would like a recommendation for a filament with the following characteristics:
. working temperature up to 200 degrees F
. easily printable from a Creality Ender 3 Pro
. available in small quantities or generally useful for other projects along with the PLA filament I currently stock
I am new to 3D printing and am slowly being successful with designing in TurboCAD 19.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Joe

Likely PETG or ABS would work well for this. If it’s for water I might be more inclined to use ABS but it’s a little harder to print than the others. is it outdoors in the sun?

This part is inside with no UV. The next part might be outside. Would either one be okay in UV?

I have seen that some filaments are moisture sensitive before printing. Does that apply to either one of these?

Petg and Abs are both OK for outdoors.

Yes, both. I’m pretty sure that would be a problem with just about all filaments, just the nature of printing through a hot nozzle. Water doesn’t get along too well.

PLA is not temperature (or UV) friendly. Your requirement of 200 might be a little much for PETG but it’s worth a try if you’re willing to risk it or can get a small amount of it to test with. PETG is easier to print and has much less odour than ABS, but I think ABS would be the best material for your needs. It would be worth keeping a roll of it around for other such usage. It’s harder to print, but If you do try to print it I think you’ll have best success with an enclosure around your printer to keep the temperature consistent – even if it’s just a quick and dirty temporary cardboard one.

ASA. It is generally easier to print than ABS has a higher temperature resistance than ABS, Better UV resistance can be used in and under water with no issues. It resists warping and is quite resistant to chemicals.

It is a styrene as is ABS so it is quite toxic to breath the fumes. Both should be ventilated.

1 Like

I don’t think either ASA or ABS can be printed on a stock Ender 3Pro without modification to it. Requires more heat then a stock Ender hotend is good for. Without that PETG is about the best you can do.

1 Like

I don’t think either ASA or ABS can be printed on a stock Ender 3Pro without modification to it. Requires more heat then a stock Ender hotend is good for. Without that PETG is about the best you can do

Something doesn’t compute here - doesn’t PETG require higher temperature than ABS?

I would think that ABS (and PLA) would be the best that you can do and PETG/ASA would require modifications to the hot end as they require hotter temperatures.

Sorry, I must be missing something here.

I print PETG at 240/65 and abs at 225/110 nozzle/bed. ABS really needs an enclosure though

Okay, I was thinking of the nozzle temperature not the bed’s.

I’ve never really had problems with ABS without an enclosure.

ASA warps a lot less than ABS it prints 260/105. Petg I print around 240ºC, ASA is a bit higher. Petg doesn’t stand up to continual 200º ASA fairs better I haven’t printed abs snce starting ASA it is better and easier to deal with in my experience.

I don’t know if the ender can p[rint that temp but if it can’t manage ASA it will struggle with Petg too.

2 Likes

Stock Ender 3 series are rated to print PLA, PETG and TPU. The hotend goes to 260-ish but needs an all metal heat break to actually go to the highest temps. Teflon boden tubes, that touch the nozzle, will break down at high temps, maybe Capricorn tube goes higher. PETG filament has a wide temp range for printing from 220 to 245 depending on the type and brand.

good info. I’ll try some ASA now

1 Like

Well that is unfortunate petg might stand up to 200º repeatably but unlikely. You might need to upgrade or replace the printer with something else. If you are doing that you might consider all the way so you can print nylons which are ideal for what you are describing.

You want this to work at 185 deg F which is 85 deg C and is right at the top of PETG glass transition temp range. Iffy.