Formbot Vivedino

Hi guy’s, just to let you know that I may help with T-Rex 3 and Troodon printer.
Ciao

1 Like

@Morlau Hi I am considering a Troodon. You have used one can you offer any insight? How fast is it? What are the shortfalls?

Good day kitedemon,
Troodon is a good printer but 3d printing experience is mandatory. Unfortunatly, there is not much information from Formbot regarding printing operation and trouble shooting issues. As an exemple, I am still loocking to understand some of the color code on display after 6 months. Levelling process is easy, when changing extruder assembly, and must be followed step by step. Printing speed is related to filament type. Wifi work perfectly. You can visit Formbot web site and download documentation and you will see what I am taking about.
Other than that, I am still very satisfied of printing quality, printing with many types of filament (PLA, PETG, ASA, Wood, Nylon).

Hope that help !

LM

1 Like

I looked over the manual, the menus look ov early complex. Thank you for your insights! I have been considering a Voron kit or Troodon. Thank You!

Hello Morlau, I just bought a troodon 400 and and am looking for some help in getting my first print down. the first mother and child figure printed perfect from the user sd card, but I haven’t been able to have any success yet from my own stl files off cura.
thanks,
James

Good day JamesQ,

Can you give more information (pictures) concerning your failed print ?

Unfortunatly, I do not use Cura, I slice with Simplify 3D that work pretty good with my Troodon

You can learn Cura in details and others from https://www.io3dp.com

There are excellent video courses regarding every steps of 3d printing with different slicer.

Let me know about it…

LM

Hi Morlau,

I have been using my troodon for quite a few months and have had really great results. I decided to upgrade my hotted to a copperhead which has also been good. That being said, I have not made any changes to the printer configuration. ie max temp, etc. Any help with changes I should make would be helpful. I did a PID Tune and got a warning about temperatures possibly reaching 470 if heating tube left on.

I’m also experiencing a z seam gap which wasn’t an issue with the V6 hotend.

Any advice or resources would be helpful.

Thanks!

A

Hello Albear, there are upgrade that I did on my Troodon :

• Installed a DDE ( Direct Drive Extruder)
  • Always use Steel extruder .4 or .6 mm
  • Installed corner angle brackets to reenforce the frame resulting reducing vibration

Also, I used Simplify 3D as a slicer

Take note that PTFE tubing start to melt around 270*c

Hope that help !

LM

Hi @albear welcome to the forum

For some reason that error message comes up on the Troodon after you run the pid tune, Its listed as an error but I think its more of an FYI

I have done some work with Formbot on there firmware. If you notice the Troodon firmware is no longer available for download. they have withdrawn it with a new release coming shortly.

I believe the FYI message will be addressed.

I have seen a lot of these machines and I do have to say they are pretty rock solid.

Thank for the reply!

I’ve had some really great prints over the last few months. The upgrade to the copperhead was a bit of an adjustment. Had to lower value in linear advance.

I was looking at www.troodonowners.com where they’ve posted RRF 3.0. Was contemplating upgrading but sounds like I should wait for Formbot to post.

Thanks again for the reply.

Al

Hey @albear

RFR 3.0 is not quite there yet, have to be careful with the upgrade as well it’s not standard Duet gear under the hood, it’s a custom board and screen with, unique connector cable. In the config files, there are a couple of differences in there that I am not sure would convert to RFR3

I agree, let formbot do the upgrade and verify the config.g before you install it.

Hello! I just set up my new Troodon 400mm and followed the set up instructions up to the point where you are prompted to extrude filament out of the nozzle. I clicked “extrusion” and set the amount to 100 mm and 5 mm/s, but when I clicked “extrude”, nothing happened. To clarify, the printer did say busy for a moment before returning to idle, but no filament extruded from the nozzle. I had fed the filament through the bowden tube until it stopped, but I suspect I somehow haven’t loaded the filament in all the way. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

HI @logan42m

Glad you asked, Usually at that point you may have to push the filament as you click extrude until you feel the extruder “grab” the filament. Its ok if it doesn’t work the first time. Keep feeding it will grab eventually and you will get used to the feel of it.

I just reread your post, Just to ask a silly question, what temp are you heating the nozzle to? if you are running PLA run it a little hot while you are loading filament, like about 220, then set it to what you actually are going to print at once you have the nozzle full.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I had the nozzle set to 200 for my first attempt, and have now set the nozzle to 220. I tried pushing the filament through the tube while the nozzle was extruding and I heard a small click. No filament came through the end of the nozzle, but when I pulled on the filament, it would no longer move back out of the tube from the nozzle. I assumed this might mean that it had caught like you described, so I began the Troodon 400 test print included in the manual. The printer functioned exactly as I had seen it print on videos, exept that no filament came out of the nozzle. I let the printer run through that print for about an hour, just in case it was doing what it was supposed to, but after seeing that the nozzle had begun to raise up without having laid down any filament, I stopped the print. I found that I could remove the filament if I clicked “retract”, and so I attempted the process you described several more times with the same result. (Feed filament in while nozzel is extruding, hear a click from the nozzel but see no filament emerging from the nozzel, find that the filament is locked in the nozzel but will not print, click “retract” to unlock filament from nozzel, try process again) Am I on the right track but just haven’t gotten a feel for it yet, or do you know of another fix for what I’m describing?

ok, sounds like it’s getting caught on the PTFE tube, Can you try to cut the end of the filament at a 45 deg angle to allow it to slide into the throat easier. It sounds like you just have a machine that is being a little cranky accepting filament. I think you are doing things right.

In a pinch, you can loosen the thumb screw on the side of the extruder and slide the filament all the way to the nozzle before you reinstall it.