Freecad is...there's gotta be a better way

Freecad has taken over my life! The learning curve is steep and yes, constraints are tough to wrap your head around. Then one day a light goes on and everything makes sense. I recommend sticking with it, because you can’t get anything better unless you pay more than you spent on your printer. (And even then)
Freecad is super powerful and a breeze to use once you get the hang of it.
Check out Joko Engineering on the YouTube. Dr. VAX will get you started. Joko will take you to the finish line.

4 Likes

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum

Jason h

Thank you! Personal anecdote about Freecad:
It’s not just for printing. It is built for architecture, an entire toolbench for cnc (wood and metal), engineering, and more. I have not scratched the surface.
But a friend of mine is installing a molecular biology lab at the new National Research Council facility in Mississauga. When he found out the architect missed a detail (concrete column wraps), i was able to propose a solution and make legit architectural drawings to scale, with detail breakouts, from multiple viewpoints using the Techdraw workbench in Freecad.
He got a raise and I got a career altering sub-contract.
Now I make my kids model things in Freecad like other parents make kids do the dishes, because that’s how fundamental I think the skill is.

4 Likes

I also highly recommend OnShape if you haven’t tried it (and don’t mind your designs being public).

For simple models, I always end up using OpenSCAD. Rendering can be very slow for curves and text.

I like Fusion360 for more complex models. It needs a decent PC to run on though. Get all the RAM you can afford. I don’t like having to submit the model to an online STL generator.

I’ve started working with CorelCAD recently. It’s a lot more like traditional CAD programs. It lists at $899, but I got it from humblebundle.com for $20 before Christmas.

2 Likes

When I first started CAD (I come from an EE/software career), I started with FreeCAD. Sure it takes a while to wrap your head around 3D CAD in the first place. And FreeCAD is a group of ‘workbenches’ and sometimes you have to alternate between them to accomplish what your need. I had thought of switching to OnShape … until they changed their licensing. And Fusion360 also has a strange licensing scheme. I had thought about OpenSCAD, but I did want a real GUI tool. And I do, like having control over the destiny of my own files.
So here I am 4 years later, still using FreeCAD.

1 Like

Yeah the licensing on fusion360 kinda makes me scratch my head. Just seems silly

I just found out about MatterControl last night. I haven’t been able to install it yet as I have an unresolved dependency that I have to work through first.

I downloaded it and it looks and feel like ThinkerCad. Some function are blocked as you need to go to the Pro version.
Maybe a good Putin if you dont want to use Thinker cad online, like add text to an object, it can open G-Code and STL files.

I have been using 3D cad software for work for years and have tried many, costly, versions. tried all variations of the above and hands down 2 stand out. Fusion 360 is the most like standard 3D cad software and is free to makers. The other is OnShape, good but for me to much change in cad jargin.

How does the fusion 360 license work exactly, is it free for a year and then they charge or do you just keep renewing it as free license.

You sign up for a personal use licence.

You renew the free licence every year, no big deal.
To me all the other ones mentioned here are not ready for prime time or are niche products. OpenSCAD seems mature but not my style of working.
FreeCAD has too many not-quite-there-but-getting better items.
For 3D printing Fusion360 free license is not restrictive, for CNC milling work it is fine but a bit irritating without rapid moves.

I thnk the other key is to find sw that has adequate learning videos etc. That is where Fusion360 really shines, a vast number of YT’ers provide you with lessons.

4 Likes