Gender politics

Hello everybody. In a different thread gender politics came up. I am curious what this very diverse community thinks of an encounter I had a few weeks ago.

I work in a very open place, lgbtqia2s+ friendly and I have been there for almost 30 years. It has skewed my touch with a broader audience. We speak of diversity at my work but often have a single view point and cannot see past it.

A few weeks ago I was walking with a friend. We encountered an intellect I have know for many years, 15, I think. I recognized the trappings of the life they choose and greeted in the preferred way, a pet on the shoulder and a turn of a cheek. I was greeted back with a cheek to cheek rub and a purr. The conversation was fairly common but my walking partner was horrified by the greeting.

Covid and what the heck was that. I said they chose to identify as a cat. The ears they wore, collar and I would assume the teeth were in too symbolized the ā€˜changeā€™. My walking partner and I had a lively debate if that was valid. I never really understood her point that you cannot identify as an animal. I never gave a consideration to covid.

I thought He/him/ she/ her/ They/ them and other was all encompassing.

What do you all think?

now you did itā€¦ we have to make up a word for non-human He/him/ she/ her/ They/ them ā€¦ there isnā€™t one in English apparently

It. the word is there. It is hard to avoid person. Iā€™m ok with all of it. How a person chooses to identify has no bearing upon me so I have no opinion upon it. My walking partner accepts all of the various gender things but not IT.

I donā€™t see the difference really. I wonder if it is equality or equity type thing.

Your only as equal as other let you be.

In this world it might be better/safer to not draw attention to ones self if you donā€™t follow the norm. There is no shortage of non-tolerant people around.

Canā€™t change the world by hiding. For some thats the thing.

This is the human race we are talking about. It hasnā€™t changed or gotten better in thousands of years so donā€™t expect to much.

Same old people, same old crap.

I think things for large portions of the western population have gotten substantially better these last 30 years and will improve again in the coming generations.

IMHO
Everyone has an opinion. That is just a fact of life.
However, it is not right for anyone to try to force there opinion on anyone else.
I drive a GMC truck, you may drive a ford or dodge. Sure, I will joke with you about it, but it is not up to me how you should feel about your truck.
We can all get along if we stop this ā€œpolitically correctā€ thing and start understanding everyone is different.
Oh, and stop being offended by everything. Accept your life. It is the only one that YOU have.

1 Like

Have you heard about the crap in the southern United States. Being different down there can be bad, driving the wrong truck can get you killed.

1 Like

Yes if course. I traveled the US a lot and will start again this summer. But you donā€™t have to go that far to find bad people. I think there are fewer and fewer of them as time goes on. When I first visited the south (and other places) in the 80s these kinds of people were also in the bigger cities, they were largely ignored. Nowadays they are fewer and more remote but noisier, for now. People with that kind of hate used to hold it close to the vest but recently they feel more free to express it and I think society will deal with it.

Aside from personally messing up pronouns too often Iā€™m for whatever floats your boat. It that means wearing ears, or a tail or teeth or whatever, enjoy! Iā€™d rather people express themselves than have to hide in the shadows because itā€™s not ā€œnormalā€ or itā€™s ā€œweirdā€

As for the stuff happening in the southern US thereā€™s no accounting for everyone but I do think that in general things are getting much better. The newer generations are much more accepting of things that are not ā€œthe normā€ ā€¦ in fact Iā€™m pretty sure that they finally realize that ā€œnormalā€ and ā€œweirdā€ are just made-up things that you canā€™t use to compare one person to another, or at best a mathematical description of averages or exclusions and shouldnā€™t affect our day-to-day lives as much as society deems it to be so. Itā€™s the same with being big/small/tall/fat/thin/hairy/bald/whatever. it just ā€œisā€ and you roll with it.

4 Likes

When I look at the world I see it the way it appears to me not the way I think it should be. I guess you guys look at thing differently. You must see the glass half filled with hope, I see it half filled with despair, misery and the crap from the sewage treatment farm.

Well, how you look at the world really is a choice isnā€™t it? You will find whatever it is youā€™re looking for

A cat? Well thatā€™s one Iā€™ve never encountered beforeā€¦

1 Like

And folks wonder why I have withdrawn from and avoid society to the greatest extent possible. :man_facepalming:

Cat? Did I miss something?

Not really. Iā€™m a realist I see it as it is. War, covid, unceasing greed, corrupt megalomaniac politicians, easily duped extremist fanatical followers and all the intolerance spoken of above. Thatā€™s just a few of the thing wrong with the human race. The ā€œimprovementsā€ that some have mentioned are just a facade on the stain of humanity. What I see is my burden to bare, donā€™t go looking for it the price is to high.

The extremes of this world leave a dark heart upon those that see it as it is.

Boy with prose like that I could write Vogon poetry.

I think Iā€™d rather listen to your 12-book epic entitled ā€œMy Favourite Bathtime Gurglesā€ā€¦ :smiley:

See aboveā€¦

Damn. I did read thatā€¦I have such a short attention span these days lol