Good matches for supports (like PLA and PETG)?

I have successfully used PETG as a support material on PLA prints and vice-versa. Allows for dense support to be turned on for great finishes. It sticks just enough to print well, but comes off without any effort when you want to remove the support.

However, is anyone aware of a list or table that shows good compatibility for this kind of application?
For example, what to use for supports if you want to print with ABS? ASA? PC? Nylon?

I tried PETG as supports with PC, but the difference in print temperatures just made it stick too well to remove later. Nylon is too “sticky” and does not come off either.

Any ideas?

1 Like

This requires a dual extruder though, does it not? As a side note, I wonder how many people on here have mult-extruder machines?

Yes, that’s true. It’s the main reason I got dual extruders!

I have 2 dual extruder machines but never got it to work well.
Do you have some special scripts added to the g-code for heat levels for the two different heads.
Would love to see what you use.

No special scripts - at least nothing beyond what the slicer does already (Cura and Sinplify3D both did a good job). It sets the standby temperature to about 20C lower on the idle head.

I just needed to get it calibrated properly, and the two temperatures need to be pretty much the same range (PETG and PLA luckily are pretty close).

Mind you, I do still get some boogers and inclusions as the idle heads do tend to ooze - especially PETG! Using an ooze shield helps, so does getting my retraction and coast settings right - good for minimizing stringing on single head prints anyways… I find that I need to babysit dual head prints significantly with my tweezers at the ready. I can set and forget single head prints, but not dual head prints.

If I had a dual extruder for supports, I’d use a dissolvable material. It seems to be the best solution to supports. PVA would be my choice.

Thanks, I may have to revisit this scenario. I had tried PVA but never managed to get that to work either. I have both cura and Simplify but neither seemed to do things auto like. Will investigate.

I wish I could remember where I’d seen it or what it was called, but there is apparently an option to install what amounts to a thin sheet of metal at the level of the bottom of the nozzle. The video I saw of it had the extruder move over the metal to slice off any dripping filament before proceeding to add the next layer.

Agreed - likely best for ease of use, but PVA is quite pricey, which is why I’m looking for alternatives. Using PETG is much cheaper where supports are not internal.

I’m in particular looking for something that would work as supports for higher temperature materials.

HIPS, it is often less than 20$. Just keep in mind it is not good for you to breath.

Again I don’t have a dual extruder. I would think that using pla or Petg would be the same as using the same as the model material. I don’t see an advantage. You paid a lot for dual extruder, dissolvable supports is the biggest IMO of a dual set up.

For Multi material prints:

With ABS and PET-G i’ve been using HIPS (dissolves in D-Limonene )
With PLA i’ve been using PVA (Dissolves in Warm/Hot water)

For fun Last Christmas i made Snowmen in PVA and Gave them out to people telling them they were Seasonally Correct and would Melt as it got hotter and more Moisture in the air! They Just made a mess, lol

1 Like

I initially also thought of using HIPS and PVA (I have some and tried it) with the dual extruders.

Those soluble materials are great for hard to remove or internal supports, although in general are a real pain to print. And HIPS - dissolving that stuff is sticky, smelly and not pleasant.

For break-away supports I got the idea from this youtube video: Using PETG as Support Material for 3D Printing PLA - YouTube
I was very pleased with how well it works for break-away supports. So much so, that I am now looking for other material combinations that will provide that same amount of adhesion yet separation for higher temperature materials.

2 Likes

My main concern with soluble filament is the question of where it ends up.

The plastic micro-beads cosmetic and soap companies were adding to products turned out to be too small to be filtered by urban filtration systems and ended up passing through them and into waterways.

It leads me to wonder about the fate of soluble 3D printed materials. They may be briefly convenient, but I’ll stick with non-soluble material I can store in a bin and hopefully (one day) recycle.

2 Likes

Never thought about that, Hear, Hear for LEGO!

@LEGOManiac

Lego you are a wise person. I work every day with a grab bag of chemicals. I have mentioned H&S more than once.

It never occurred to me that someone would actually put effluent down a drain! PVA is glue don’t put it in your drain your plumbing will not like it and Lego is correct it is not ok in water systems. In fact it violates the SDS.

Limonene, acetone, most solvents all need hazardous waste disposal. Never down the drain! Printing Resins they also cannot go in a drain, alcohol contained with resins also cannot go down the drain. It needs to go for disposal!

Please when working with chemicals find the SDS sheets. Chemicals are only dangerous when you don’t understand them.

34 years of chemicals and I have never been hurt in any way. Take my word read the SDS and be safe, not sorry.

That includes the environmental hazards. Micro beads are a huge issue but some of the things we are talking about are just straight up poison.

Never put chemicals down the drain.

2 Likes