Handsome, but somewhat brutal Frog Prints

I bought the printer for a specific project - dissectable frogs. After I printed the first one (on the first day I had it), that’s when I ran into issues with the wheels that were resolved after tightening it. Then ensued a couple of days where I couldn’t print anything but bad slinky toys. Turns out I needed to level it all again. So, once I did that, I could print again. This model includes six organs that go inside the frog like a jigsaw puzzle. It’s very cool, as you can see particularly after I changed the filament to the PLA+ army green. He’s the full size of the print area and takes 9 hours to print. (A further 3 hours to print his innards).

He’s brutal though because it’s quite the challenge to get off the print surface. And it seems that he fried one of the stepper motors as I am back to not printing again :frowning: I have unplugged each motor and definitely the right motor is not turning. Argh,

Brutal for the stepper. Is it petg? I use glue stick as a resist to keep it from grabbing the creality type bed. I kinda hate it myself I would consider plain glass or one of the GRP solutions if the printer was printing well it isn’t and is in a time out again.

Nah, it’s PLA+

interesting I never had an issue with PLA adhesion being strong. Did you let the bed cool fully?

In first frog print, yes. It sat overnight, but was still a challenge to take off. In the second one, I thought I was lucky and showed up just as it finished. It wasn’t coming off then and indeed I wounded myself trying to remove it. I left it overnight and it came off … still hung on but easier.
So … my takeway from your comment is that I should let the bed cool completely to remove the (not so) wee reptile.

Now to hear about my sad motor from tech support.

PLA on glass with glue can be a real brute to remove.

I hope you know that with this item you will be throwing a lot of frogs out of work. You will probably have The Experimental Frogs Union up in arms over this.

1 Like

Lol

To clarify I ment on the creality printed bed thing. I found PLA stuck ok them after a while really badly and needed glue. Bare glass it stickes really well and glue helps remove it.

the printed creality is supposed to release when it is cooled.

With prints that are really stuck to my Creality glass bed I wait until its cool then spray a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water around the print. If you can get one corner up even a tiny bit it helps the spray to start working its way under the print.

Typically I have Magigoo on my bed so things release more easily when they cool but occasionally I get a stubborn one that needs the water/alcohol spray.

One never knows what the “+” part of PLA+ actually involves; I’d certainly be more worried about it than regular PLA, printing on glass. Though for full disclosure, I mostly print recycled PLA and new ABS, so it’s not an area I have a lot of knowledge on.

Still, you might look at getting some Garolite or G10. For PLA/PETG that stuff is amazing, prints hold super well when it’s heated up and pop right off once it cools to about 25C. And it heats/cools a lot faster than glass. IF you’re in Canada, I got mine from Uline.

For the motor, you could try swapping the cable with a motor that works and see if the problem follows the cable. That’s a much easier part to replace, and one that fails fairly readily, too.

Good luck!

My understanding of it is that the black pebbles are there to make it release, could be wrong though. Like any surface it does wear out after a time. I didn’t have a lot of luck with it so I just use the bare glass side with glue. That works very well but can be a real bitch to get off at times. Worth it to not need to worry about curled corners ETC.

That looks like a really BIG frog. You know slicers will let you scale the print size larger or smaller.
I often test print at 1/2 size or less for faster test prints.
I print on a flexible magnetic “plate”. Rolling the plate slightly across the edge of the counter readily releases the print.

Neat project.

Indeed it is a big frog. It needs to be “read” by members of the audience as they (9 of them) are used as a stage prop.
Funny story on scaling … I picked a simple test project to print and when it was finished, I ended up with a 5mm high Pokemon. That’s when I learned about scaling.