Hello from Montreal

Here is a link to the mini video

ok I’m working on the video link

Ok if you right click on the video and select Copy video address then open a new window and paste into the address bar it will get you the video

Can I ask you to be precise? It’s really a problem when if you don’t provide accurate information as we’ll go down the wrong road and spend more time at this.

I’m looking at then SKR 1.4 turbo manual:

Did you cut the lead on the TMC2209 manual as shown on Page 7?

It looks like you’re generating your own firmware. Are you getting any errors or warnings when you build it? How do you know that it is loading in? What is the UART address that you are using for the stepper(s)?

I will try to do better.
Yes the lead is cut off on the TMC2209.
No problem reports when I build or upload the firmware.
I know the upload works because I had to change the E-stepper direction and that worked.
After upload I use M502 and M500 so the new code is active.
How do I find out what UART address I’m using?

What do you have for #define MOTHERBOARD in your Marlin Configuration.h file? That should result in the proper TMC2209 files to be used in your build AND will result in the proper UART pin(s) to be specified - IFF you are using the connecting X to X, Y to Y etc.

Could you take a minute and create a table like I did previously so I can understand what you’ve done to test the X and Y axes and what the results are?

#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_BTT_SKR_V1_4_TURBO

•  X-Motor   Y-Motor   X-Wire   Y-Wire   X-Driver   Y-Driver

•     X         Y         1        2         A          B       System Resets when X engaged   Y works   X no
        X         Y         2        1         A          B       System Resets when X engaged   Y works   X no
        X         Y         1        2         B          A       System Resets when X engaged   Y works   X no
        X         Y         2        1         B          A       System Resets when X engaged   Y works   X no
        Y         X         1        2         A          B       System Resets when X engaged   X works   Y no
        Y         X         2        1         A          B       System Resets when X engaged   X works   Y no
        Y         X         1        2         B          A       System Resets when X engaged   X works   Y no
        Y         X         2        1         B          A       System Resets when X engaged   X works   Y no

Hope it makes sense

Thanx that’s helpful. One thing what is the last column where you say “X no” or “Y no”?

When you are testing the X axis stepper, is the belt connected? What happens if you don’t have anything attached to the X axis driver? What happens if there isn’t a driver module in the X axis socket?

I’m still trying to characterize the problem - I’m hoping that something will pop out that will better explain where the problem is.

Sorry it’s taking so long.

Hi again
The last column means X not working Y not working.
Tested with belt on.
With belt off X-Motor moves a little bit, stops, moves a little bit (like in the movie I send) and board does NOT reset.
No Motor on X nothing happens no reset.
No Driver on X nothing happens no reset.

Please take all the time you want I’m just happy you are trying to help.

First off - I wanted to say you have a great looking printer. You’ve done a nice job with it.

Now that I’ve buttered you up - how comfortable do you feel about moving the X axis connection to the E1 driver slot? We’ve checked everything after the controller socket, now we’ve got to see if another socket has the same issues.

You’re going to have to edit Marlin\scr\pins\lpc1768\pins_BTT_SKR_V1_4.h and swap the X and E1 pin definition of the “Steppers” (line 155) and “#if HAS_TMC)_UART” (line 210). I’m not sure if you’re using sensorless homing - if you are, I can walk you through the additional changes.

I’d suggest that you also change STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR printer identification to verify that you are running the changed firmware.

After making the changes above, rebuilding Marlin and reloading it, move your X driver module and stepper wiring to E1 and let’s see if the problems move to the new stepper location. If there’s an electrical problem with the SKR turbo, this should catch it and leave you with a working printer.

Hi mykepredko

Thanks but printer still need work. I upload a pic once I’m done.

So did change `Marlin\scr\pins\lpc1768\pins_BTT_SKR_V1_4.h but I don’t understand what I’m suppose to do with the STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR. I found it in Configuration_adv.h but I have no idea what to do with it.

STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR should be in Configuration.h not Configuration_Adv.h and I would suggest you change it to something like:

#define STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR "(Gerdy, Swap X and E1)"

So you know that the firmware gets properly updated.

Good morning
Thanks for the info. Did all the changes and uploaded code.
And nothing changed, still the same problem.

Okay - what does that mean?

You are plugging your TMC2209 driver chip into the E1 socket and wiring to it and there is the same problem?

Sorry, along with that, can you confirm that the new firmware is installed by checking the STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR information to ensure that it has been updated?

Yes I plug the TMC2209 into E1 and yes the same problem.
In the same time I changed the Y axis #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT and that worked.
So I know the upload worked.
Where do I find the STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR information?

You should be able to see the STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR information in the information screen on the display or if you connect with something like Octoprint. But, if E1 is behaving like X was originally, I think it’s safe to say that the firmware was updated.

Let’s just review where we are to make sure we’re on the same page:

1. When the X axis is commanded to move, it jerks slightly and the system resets. This is true whether or the belt and gantry are connected to the stepper.
  2. When the Y or Z axis is commanded to move, no issues.
  3. When we swap X & Y in terms of driver, cable and motor, the problem doesn’t move, the X axis continues to be a problem.
  4. When we swap the X socket with E1 in the firmware, the problem moves to the new socket.

As I wrote the previous list, a couple of things to ask jumped out at me:

1. What happens when we start a print? I probably should have asked this before but when I did a search on this problem it seems like a lot of people report something similar with a start of print problem.
  2. What is your X axis end stop? Is there any difference between the Y axis end stop.
  3. What happens if you disconnect the X axis end stop?
  4. What differences do you see between the X axis wiring (motor and end stop) and the Y wiring (motor and end stop)?

I’m sure something will jump out at us to look at.

So your review is correct.
I have not done any printing since changing to the new controller (Still need to adjust the #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT for the X axis).
Both X and Y have optical end-stops and both are identical. Same with motor and wires identical.
I removed the X end-stop but it did not change anything.

It is really starting to be frustrating.

What do you mean you still have to “adjust the #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT for the X axis”?

What values are in there now?

I used the RepRap calculator which gave me the value of 26.67 for a 1.8 degree, 16 microstep, 2 mm belt pitch and a Pulley tooth count of 60. I guess that’s close enough for now.