I’ve spent most of the last two weeks putting out fires (hard disk failures, email corruption, taxes) and taking the plunge down the rabbit hole that is my riding mower.
I chose to save $1200 by buying the baby of the mower offerings and giving up some of the “features” of it’s bigger brothers. I did that with the full intention of adding those features back. This involves stripping down the mower, documenting how the cables are laid out and what controllers it’s using and then coming up with ways of adding in the features that were deleted from the smallest in the group. They didn’t give it a USB port, or cruise control, and they capped the speed at 7Km/h which I’ve since learned is a legal limit for electric vehicles that can be operated on sidewalks. This mower is actually 3cm wider than the largest mobility scooter I’ve found, will still fit through a doorway without the mower deck attached (which is how I got it into the basement) and has double the range of it’s electric scooter counterparts. Yet those electric mobility scooters cost $3000 more and aren’t nearly as solidly built. At any rate, I think there may be a “solution” to the speed limit problem too.
So, to add these “features” back and improve it further, I need to print a new control panel and probably some mounting brackets for various add-ons. I also wanted to replace the relatively “dumb” meter they had with one that could actually measure the amount of current to and from the battery bank rather than just estimating it from the battery voltage. This is what’s been tying me up for most of the last two weeks.