I'm in the dog house

So where I work has been shut down for a few days related to the pandemic, I’ve been…shopping…
My wife has officially had enough, most stuff has been small and to be honest I don’t think she noticed alot of it. Yesterday my largest purchase in awhile made it to the door…

It’s a 1940s screw cutting lathe, and holy hell did she flip her lid. :confounded:

I think that’s it for buying new machines for a little bit…

My biggest problem now, how the hell do I get this heavy monstrosity up onto a bench all by myself haha

3 Likes

Sounds like you may need to make another purchase to lift that up, (A hoist of some sort) :grin:

But by the sounds of things you would be something that is attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis
– Leonard

I would love to get my hands on a metal lathe but have no place to put it :expressionless:

2 Likes

Nice. Is that a Logan? Looks english, you should be ae to take the head and talstock off and lift the bed by hand. These are hard to move as they are top heavy. Usually there are lifting points on the bed donxt lift it from the head stock or spindle.

Man am I jealous. Mind if I ask what you paid for it? I have a wood lathe - a $40 find from Value Village of all places, and it works fairly well, but I’d love something with a decent metal chuck.

BOO no yellow ducks in the BTT stuff that just arrived from 3DPC… wife was expecting them heh… I’m in the doghouse now too. I’ll have to write a strongly worded letter!

1 Like

I never realised James Veitch was so short.

1 Like

It is a logan, made for Montgomery ward, called a
Powr-Kraft

It’s a 10" swing by 24 inch center to center

I paid 1600.00 from an old contact. It came with a big box of tooling and centers for it. It also came with all the change gears it needs.

I’ll post more pictures once I get the bench built.

My reason for getting this is that there’s a very curmudgeonly 80 year old man out this way that has been teaching me alot about building old school mauser rifles and British shotguns, and it’s a rare thing to find a gunsmith who’s willing to teach.

5 Likes

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of work out of that. I think you can still get some of the parts for it too. I don’t know where you are but if you are in around Toronto somewhere you could go to a place like HH Roberts and see what they have for a base kicking around. The bases have an advantage because they are heavy and they usually have a chip tray that can catch the chips and coolant (if you set that up) or at least contain whatever you drip on the parts. You’d have to go there because if you call these places they won’t even get out of their chairs to have a look because a loose base for a toolroom lathe won’t be on their system as a product. but everyone likes to be handed a clean 50 dollar bill so it’s worth stopping if your near a place like that. a little paint and you’d be all set.

I had one of those mentors too (a few in fact) Fred was quite a guy. Austrian and had about 1200 rare guns in his collection. He was an Olympic shooting coach (Canada) and very knowledgeable. he had a bunch of prewar Mausers 98k’s that had an intricate kit built into them to make them shoot 22lr instead of 8mm. Very well hidden, you’d never know it was there if you didn’t know

Nice. I’ve been collecting wood working machinery since before Christmas. 13” dewalt Planer, 8” jointer likely a busy bee, floor model Buffalo 15 drill press. I’d like a small lathe but not a huge priority and I just finished printing the MPCNC from v1 engineering that I’ll get to building shortly.

The mpcnc looks enticing, im hoping to build one as well. Right now I only have a small bench top drill press, so a floor press is on my list as well.
So is a vertical mill and a duplicator.

I am envious as well, it’s the one tool I would like to have in my shop but just way too many toys…

I am also in agreement about the yellow ducks, it’s always an alternative.LOL

Yeah, I figured I might as well bite the bullet. It’s one of those things where the initial cost is really high, they hold value very well, and almost never come down in price unless something is broken.

I honestly haven’t bought anything that has the ducks in it

Love the lathe.
I picked up an Atlas (1976) metal lathe to help out with my prop making. Haven’t touched a lathe since high school, but the learning has been fun.

Same here, it’s been 20 years since touching one, and am looking forward to getting back into it.

So there may be a chance my lathe maybe up for sale if anyone here is interested, another friend approached me with another lathe, this one with a quick change gear box which better suits my needs. I’ll keep you guys posted