Inches or Millimeters... Go!

3 Likes

Where the heck did you find that? (Iā€™m referring to the plastic banana.

Since Iā€™m not obsessed with living in the 1700ā€™s like our friends down south, Iā€™m 100% metric.

IMGUR. #1 time wasting site/appā€¦

2 Likes

Personally I do all my work in mm, mode software I use worked better that way. I come Frome a game design background and most game engines use 1m as one unit. I also donā€™t it easier to troubleshoot my prints since most is not all printers work with metric. However if your clients prefer inches it would be silly not to oblige.

1 Like

Hey @TriPunk

Welcome to the Forum, Hope to see some of your projects.

Glad to have you
Jason H

I am ambidextrous, can go either way, but prefer metric. I still relate things to imperial, 6ā€™ā€™ of snow, etc. All my modelling is done in metric, easier to divide and multiply.

1 Like

I am 60 and live in Canadaā€¦ so in the mid seventies, we were forced to change from Imperial to Metric along with all the conversion that was required. I believe they have dropped the conversions in school now, which is a good thingā€¦ any cell phone can convert in no time.
I no longer ever convert unless there is a need that is unforseenā€¦ But for the most part I use mmā€¦ Much easier to work with.
Inches are commonly divided into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 16thā€¦ howeverā€¦ any caliper you buy for imperial is in 10, 100, or 1000ths of an inch, and the conversion is a pain.

So I am pro mm IMHO

Steve

2 Likes

Same era here, but I find it interesting that if I do a project at work in metric all materials, which are substantially purchased in Canada, are converted to their Imperial sizes. So much for Canada adopting the metric system.

1 Like

Honestly any parts that size actually matters and needs to be precise inches is the way to go.

Anything that is just for fun and free standing sure why not use goofy metric.

Thereā€™s a reason that most firearms, construction and machining happens in inches. Itā€™s just easier once itā€™s in decimal form.

Plus my schooling is in aviation and imperial rules that. Unless youā€™re working on an airbus, then youā€™re just a fool

1 Like

Itā€™s funny the field matters. I work in photography its mostly is in metric and has been for a long time. Even the autocollimator (for lens element alignment after cleaning) from the 1950s made in the USA was in mm.

Wait not true. Prints are in imperial as are the printers (from Japan). I realize I flip back and forth all the time depending on what I am doing. It is almost automatic now I do so with out thought.

1 Like

actually most machining is done in metric now. You canā€™t buy a machine with imperial scales anymore so you would have to convert all your imperial to metric to make the parts anyway. Firearms I donā€™t know specifically but I suspect anything modern is metric.

In construction most engineered materials are metric and for the rest vits the same because its always been done that way but as soon as there is anything new it will be in metric. so to be honest Imperial measurements in any manufacturing is dead and anything thats holding on itā€™s just because there hasnā€™t been a change that required them to look at it.

Accuracy has nothing to do with it. There are fine units of measure that were never defined in the imperial system that have been in metric because it was required.

In Woodworking. You can work and never measure anything.

2 Likes

No most firearms are imperial based on the fact that most cartridges aside from nato variants are imperial, ie. A .308 winchester is a .30 caliber bullet or. 30 inches there are some like the euro cartridges that are metric but all the regular off the shelf rounds are measured imperial, even the bullets for the metric rounds are measured in imperial.

And every lathe Iā€™ve ever used is based on imperial, dry wall and board is all sold in feet, dirt and loose materials are all sold by the cubic yard,
A house is measured in sq feet etc

Honestly metric has always bugged me, it seems foolish to measure something in mm when a 1/8 (.125) or 1/4 inch (.25) does just fine

I dunno I guess it just counts to what ever you did as a kid anyways.
Meh worldā€™s gone to hell anyway just another thing for me to be annoyed at.
Iā€™m ornery today sorry

2 Likes

I am interested in the differs methods. In boatbuilding it is common to measure with feet inches and eights. 1-2-3ā€™ is one foot, two inches, and 3 eights and the little ā€™ is one 16th.

I have on occasion mixed measurements, use a metal tape to measure to the foot and a metric steel ruler to measure less than a foot. so like 6 feet and 35 cm.

I know Iā€™m an odd ball.

2 Likes

tenor

3 Likes

A lot of traditional trades have their own measurements, Coopers, Sawyers and Wheelwrights have their own too.

2 Likes