Inches or Millimeters... Go!

I like to design all my work in inches! A lot of companies I deal with prefer inches. What do you think?

tenor

4 Likes

I prefer mm / cm myself, but that’s because it’s a measurement system I’m more comfortable with, especially at the scale I can print. Working out fractions of inches to divide components up is less comfortable for me than base-10 with metric.

3 Likes

Oh, I get it, both sides - kinda. I grew up on the farm, built houses in highschool, all imperial. Schooled in metric. Fly now in a mish-mash of both, kilograms of fuel, degrees Celcius, feet of altitude, knotical miles…sigh…I just think we should, as a planet pick one and use it (been reading the Expanse series…) Not to turn my back on my roots, but I think that system should make more sense mathematically, so that’d be a metric vote for me, and that seems to be the global vote too, since there is only 3 countries(really only one) that use imperial.

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter to me, I can work in both. but frankly the world already decided on Metric and thats the way everything should go. It’s a workable system except maybe for working in traditional ways and then measuring in say woodworking for example was not really required any only really happened for industrialization…

2 Likes

MM for me, but I do build in inches as building materials are sold that way. I prefer metric but am comfortable in both.

3 Likes

I grew up on inches with everything, but since designing parts on computer, machining and printing I switched to Metric. I still use inch for construction and house hold measurements but even that is slowly starting to switch as I get more confident in metric. Base 10 in the long run has been bit easier to understand, especially with machining and 3d design. I use to convert from inch the mm and now I find myself looking at things in mm and converting to inch if needed. For me I have really been finding that they both have their place!

2 Likes

I Grew up with Both. SAE/Imperial and Metric

I understand “Couple Thou” " just a tenth more" “Bump it up a Hair”

I’m sure it’ll take a long while Before everyone moves to BASE10

Think about this!!! We’re still using Babylonian units to measure time! BASE60

I don’t like how they call the 1320 “Freedom units” However that’s me.
Why don’t we call it the 402 meter dash? (Four OH Two Meter dash)

Could just make it the 400Meter dash, Only 6.6 feet shorter = more challenging

4 Likes

I grew up on both units of measure as well, but when it comes to design work, I prefer mm only because I can never commit to memory what fractions of an inch converted to a decimal point is. I can never remember that 3/8" = 0.375, or 1/16" = 0.0625, etc… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Honestly I prefer imperial (work in construction, it’s my default system), but there are benefits to working in both. Especially if you’re going to post a model for others to use it’s helpful to be able to describe in both imperial and metric for those who only work in one or the other.

1 Like

mm all the way boys for me

1 Like

B01KbFX

2 Likes

mm all the way, I will admit though metric has no frame of reference when it comes to your body weigh and height!

2 Likes

@mobiobi I’m in the same boat, Klms and Meters when driving, but inches and feet when I’m working with wood, designing for 3d printing, 100% always mm.

good lord some days I type stuff like that and just realize I’m weird.

4 Likes

Mm for work (auto repair)
Mm for designing parts to print
Inches when doing home construction, mm when I’m working with my friend who mostly uses imperial just to be a goof.

2 Likes

8 Likes

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah dead here brother that was funny

2 Likes

I grew up with metric in Australia (went fully metric in the late 60s) and the only exposure to imperial was via my father, who was a builder. Even he moved over to metric out of necessity. There was no half measures in the Aussie transition to decimal.

That’s why I struggle with imperial here in Canada. I especially dislike not being able to walk into a hardware store and have everything in metric. Imperial is best consigned to the dustbin, but I understand that having an exceptionalist neighbour can make ditching the cubits more difficult.

1 Like

I just make sure to convert it back and forth a few times after measuring to sound more impressive. Otherwise, metric for everything I am making, because Canada has used metric my entire life and all my printers are in metric.

1 Like

Metric is much better.

I bought an all metric tape measure for work, and no one wants to borrow mine anymore. Win Win.

1 Like