K40 Laser not framing project, hits hard limit X and Y

So my laser finally started working, but when I went to frame my project on light burn, it said I was hitting a hard limit X. So I tried again and it said I hit a hard limit Y. All help is appreciated!

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out, issues like these are certainly frustrating.

Have you ensured that the model fits properly on the bed? How large is the model? And have you tried cutting something very small that you are 100% sure would fit on the bed, this could even be something like a 10mmx10mm cube.

Thanks,
Matthew

My design is definitely small enough to fit on the bed, I am wondering if there is anything wrong with my limit switches. Could that be the problem with it?

Depending on what firmware you are using you may be able to use a G119 to verify end stops.

Is it physically touching the end stops or is it only moving part-way across the axis and stopping with an end stop error message? I know it sounds weird but it is 2 different error conditions.

Unfortunately I have never owned a laser engraver before so my knowledge on them is quite limited. You could try to check the cables themselves to make sure that they look fine and that everything is plugged in. If you have a multi-meter you could also check continuity between the ends, this will tell you if the cable is fine or if there is a break somewhere.

When the printer goes to home does everything look proper? Does it make any grinding noises or do the axis even move at all?

Thanks,
Matthew

Every time I hit the home button on light burn, it works fine but whenever I try to frame my project it says Alarm: Hard limit -X or -Y.

Hey there!

Sorry for the late reply, I have been a little busy over the past couple days.

Does your laser-cutter come with any software or built in control other than light burn that can be used to control it? You might want to try homing the printer from here and see if it works properly.

Thanks,
Matthew

Yeah I am going to try that today and see if that does anything.

Great!

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Matthew