Klipper Heater extruder not heating at expected rate

Hello, all fellow 3D printer friends I was hoping you could help me out with an issue I’m having I have a sonic pad running a CR10. I keep getting the error Heater extruder not heating at expected rate and shuts down. here are some of the things I have tried

replace the heater cartridge and thermistor
added in the configuration file verify_heater extruder and increased the default numbers

I’m failry new at Klipper any help would be appreciated i have cliped tmy Log file as well see below

[ERROR] 2023-02-27 20:09:01,484 [root] [gcode:_respond_raw:470] ++++++++++++++msg:B:20.9 /0.0 T0:247.6 /260.0
[ERROR] 2023-02-27 20:09:02,485 [root] [gcode:_respond_raw:470] ++++++++++++++msg:B:21.0 /0.0 T0:246.9 /260.0
[ERROR] 2023-02-27 20:09:02,486 [root] [gcode:_respond_raw:473] Write g-code response
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/klipper/klippy/gcode.py”, line 471, in _respond_raw
os.write(self.fd, (msg+“\n”).encode())
OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable
[ERROR] 2023-02-27 20:10:18,361 [root] [gcode:_respond_raw:470] ++++++++++++++msg:// Klipper state: Ready
[ERROR] 2023-02-27 20:10:18,363 [root] [gcode:_respond_raw:473] Write g-code response
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/klipper/klippy/gcode.py”, line 471, in _respond_raw
os.write(self.fd, (msg+“\n”).encode())
OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable
[ERROR] 2023-02-27 20:10:24,541 [root] [virtual_sdcard:_load_file:228] File opened:CCR10_CNC Lathe_Mill_V1_Bottom 3 .gcode Size:28016501 start_print
[ERROR] 2023-02-28 00:16:21,884 [root] [verify_heater:heater_fault:88] Heater extruder not heating at expected rate
[ERROR] 2023-02-28 00:16:21,887 [root] [klippy:invoke_shutdown:366] Transition to shutdown state: Heater extruder not heating at expected rate
See the ‘verify_heater’ section in docs/Config_Reference.md
for the parameters that control this check.

[ERROR] 2023-02-28 00:16:21,892 [root] [mcu:usb_reset:931] cat /mnt/UDISK/printer_config3/printer.cfg |grep ‘# !’
[ERROR] 2023-02-28 00:16:22,028 [root] [mcu:usb_reset:933] # !CR-10

1 Like

If I’m reading this correctly, you’re trying to get up to 260C - correct?

First off, this seems to be out of spec for the CR-10; from what I can see in a search, the printer has a maximum temperature of 250C. Are you sure the power supply can pump out enough current to get the hot end up to that temperature, hold it and run other functions (with the heated bed being a big one)?

If this were normal Klipper (not the forked version in the Sonic Pad), I would suggest you add a [verify_heater extruder] statement like what I use on one of my printers to allow the extruder to get beyond 250:

[verify_heater extruder]
#max_error: 120
#   The maximum "cumulative temperature error" before raising an
#   error. Smaller values result in stricter checking and larger
#   values allow for more time before an error is reported.
#   Specifically, the temperature is inspected once a second and if it
#   is close to the target temperature then an internal "error
#   counter" is reset; otherwise, if the temperature is below the
#   target range then the counter is increased by the amount the
#   reported temperature differs from that range. Should the counter
#   exceed this "max_error" then an error is raised. The default is
#   120.
check_gain_time: 50
#   This controls heater verification during initial heating. Smaller
#   values result in stricter checking and larger values allow for
#   more time before an error is reported. Specifically, during
#   initial heating, as long as the heater increases in temperature
#   within this time frame (specified in seconds) then the internal
#   "error counter" is reset. The default is 20 seconds for extruders
#   and 60 seconds for heater_bed.
#hysteresis: 5
#   The maximum temperature difference (in Celsius) to a target
#   temperature that is considered in range of the target. This
#   controls the max_error range check. It is rare to customize this
#   value. The default is 5.
#heating_gain: 2
#   The minimum temperature (in Celsius) that the heater must increase
#   by during the check_gain_time check. It is rare to customize this
#   value. The default is 2.

The check_gain_time parameter will extend the time interval used to determine whether or not the specified heater is increasing in temperature or if it has stalled out.

If the [verify_heater extruder] statement is available in the Sonic Pad then I would recommend trying it but no more than 2.5x the default value because the function of this feature is to ensure you don’t burn out your power supply drawing an excessive amount of current for an extended period of time.

1 Like

Thanks for the Quick reply did add in the verify heater extruder (it wasn’t there before in my configuration) as well and increased the max error and the gain time with no luck. im wondering if it is using it or not since i get the same error with or without it or I have placed it in the wrong sport in the .cfg file.
I have run the CR10 at 260 before the Sonic pad was running the show with no issue the older marlin firmware caped out at 265c.

You shouldn’t set a max_error as that will effectively decrease the check_gain_time value.

Again, I don’t know the Sonic Pad and it doesn’t use a standard version of Klipper, but I would think this statement is implemented in it.

Could I suggest that you take/comment out the [verify_heater extruder] statement and record where things fail. Then, put it back in with just the check_gain_time parameter and record where things fail.

Hopefully, the failure temperature will be significantly different between the two which will help us determine whether or not the statement is working and we can figure out where to go from there.

Hi @Kools Welcome to the forum, Glad to see you here.

and for @mykepredko I am sure you have many more tricks up your sleeve… you are now known as a “klipper” guy… lol

Seriously though, Thanks for jumping in on this

1 Like

Hello, greetings from Panama, @Kools I don’t know if it’s late or if it works for you, I have a CR10S Pro v2, I bought a SonicPad a few weeks ago, I started having an Error Key 1 problem, after starting a print or in the middle of a print investigating, read in the next page talking about defects in the wiring to the movement of the hotend, but I heated my hotend to 260* and began to jam the cable (the temperature did not change, nothing happened), in the same forum the law possibly could be the fan, and That was indeed it, try to isolate or from the Cura, deactivate the cooling option to OFF, and try, surely this will solve your problem

Heater extruder not heating at expected rate - General Discussion - Klipper

@mykepredko Now reading your comment I wonder what .CFG file I should modify, since obviously I can’t make all the prints with my extruder cooling turned off, but the problem is that when it is close to 60% (monitoring the SonicPad Webpage) everything works fine, but when it rises to 100% after 2 seconds the temperature changes so fast that the SonicPad detects this change as abnormal or an anomaly and stops

The only file that you should modify is printer.cfg.

If I understand you correctly, the hot end is rising to 260C and when it reaches 258C, the temperature jumps by 2C and you get an error? This sounds strange.

How did you set up your PID for the hot end? Are you seeing any significant overshoot after the target temperature (260) has been reached?

Regardless, you should read:

https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Reference.html#common-extruder-and-heated-bed-support

followed by:

https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Reference.html#custom-heaters-and-sensors

If you are using PID values that you don’t understand or were provided by somebody else, I recommend you do a PID_CALIBRATE as described here:

https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_checks.html#calibrate-pid-settings

Could you confirm my understanding of the issue as well as describe your PID values and how they were produced? I can point you towards looking at things, but there’s only so much that can be done with the Sonic Pad.

NOTICE: The Sonic Pad does not run genuine Klipper or any of the associated applications (ie Moonraker and Mainsail) - the source code used in the Sonic Pad has been modified and is downlevel compared to the currently released Klipper software. The modifications to the Klipper software has rendered the Sonic Pad’s klippy.log useless when it comes to characterizing and identifying problems. Creality has not documented the changes to the software and does not provide effective nor timely customer support. All of these issues mean that resolving problems while running the Sonic Pad will require the user to determine what is the actual problem along with the appropriate corrective action.

Hi @JondZ33

Welcome to the forum, Glad you found us.

Hope to see you here often

I have a CR10S Pro running the full Klipper install and just received a similar message and shut down.
Restarted machine and set extruder temp to what I wanted and watched the graph. Got to 125 or so and then nose dived and bottomed out at -40.
I have just bought a replacement thermistor for the hot end as that would seem to be the likely culprit, since it worked 2 days ago and it has the original thermistor.
Just my 2 cents worth.