Micro SD to Full Size SD Extension Cable

Hi,
Is anyone using the Micro SD to Full Size SD Extension Cable? I bought one a few months ago but it does not work well. Several times I have to disconnect and reconnect the cable into the printer for it to recognize that there is a card at the other end. I was wondering if I just got a bad one or is there something I am missing.

https://3dprintingcanada.com/collections/micro-sd-cards/products/official-micro-sd-to-full-size-sd-extension-cable

thanks,

On my CR-10S Pro the printer will not refresh its read of the SD card unless the cable is removed and reinserted. As a consequence I had to abandon the cable as that defeated the entire purpose of having it. This has nothing to do with the cable but is a characteristic of the printer. Ultimately I opted for Octoprint and rendered the issue moot.

1 Like

I use one on an ender 3pro I have just because I have a lot of SD cards from my trailcams that I now use for 3d printing, I cannot remember a time I had to unplug it. I know I am using a custom firmware on it. Not sure if maybe its a firmware thing?

Just to eliminate it as being a defective cable, next time you have an issue, don’t remove it go into the menu system of the printer and unmount and remount the SD card, this will at least tell me if its defective or not. by the action of unmounting and remounting the card without physically touching the cable will tell you if its a software (i.e. firmware) or hardware issue.

1 Like

Well I wish I would have read this thread yesterday as I just ordered an extension from Amazon but I only want it for flashing the LCD files om my CR10s Pro V2. I use Octoprint for flashing firmware which works great.

1 Like

I will try through the menu next time.

I started using octoprint to upload the file to the printer but the last time I used it, the file did not load completely. A few layers and ending the job instructions were missing. The nozzle stayed at one spot on the printed part at 200c for about an hour by the time i noticed it. I am now back to microSD card.

Is your firmware update plugin up to date in Octoprint? I’ve been flashing firmware for a while now this way and have never had a problem.

2 Likes

I have a similar one on my monoprice. I designed a holder and replaced the whole side of the printer. It has not been touched in years. If it is flakey and while mounted you and wiggle the cable look to software. If it disconnects while being moved its likely a bad cable.

2 Likes

I update octoprint every time there is one available.

1 Like

Huh… not sure why that might be but if you prefer the SD route then that’s the right way to go!

I am using one on my stock Ender 3 v2 and other than the rare time it doesn’t see the card it works great. For the rare times I just reboot the printer and it then sees the data. For the stock firmware it requires a powercycle in order to read new contents on the card. I have been told that for other firmware this issue has been resolved.

1 Like

I have one installed for this very reason too… Also my main board ad card spring dosent work, so im useing 2 extenders.

I found the lcd screen access was tight, but a bit of finess, and i was able to get the cable in through one of the slots on the side.

1 Like