Minecraft ore cube for my nephews 10th

The body is black PLA. The inserts are Taulmann Alloy 910 natural nylon. The light source is a three foot RGB LED strip from the dollar store, with remote (has a battery) for $2.50!
I designed a 30mm cube with holes for glue in posts to suspend it in the middle. Then I wrapped the LED tape around the cube until I had coverage on all sides. I then used a wrap of Canada Post clear shipping tape to hold the LEDs in place (low current LEDs)

4 Likes

that is pretty sweet, Nice job

1 Like

In case anyone is curious, the differences in the light on the various inserts is intentional. It seems to show up better at the blue end of the spectrum. When I look at the cubes in the game, there appear to be different densities in the minerals in the cubes.
To recreate that, I told Cura to slice at 15%. I then took support blockers and randomly changed the infill in parts of the inserts.
Worked rather well :slightly_smiling_face: On the blue and green pictures, the less dense areas are much brighter than IRL. The red is less bright. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Such a creative use of 3D printing. Your nephew must have been THRILLED.

1 Like

I happened to notice this thread, and have an update.

Almost two years later, my brother-in-law informs me that my nephew still turns it on every evening before bed.

I guess he was thrilled :slightly_smiling_face:

Thats awesome to hear!! It turned out so great!