Modify an .stl file enlarging - narrowing- hole creating

Hi All,

I have a Thingiverse .stl file which Tinkercad can’t import the figure’s head - the error message is that it’s too complex.

I’m teaching kids how to do certain basic tasks in 3D printing at our small, semi-rural public library.

One student wanted to enlarge the body of a Punko dog but have a smaller head.

Once printed, it became obvious the head would not fit on to the body and the neck was both too long and too wide.

In the 3D printer world, have you ever needed to do any of the following?

1). enlarge the size of one of 2 figures ( ex. a head figure)
2), create a hole in a figure (ex. the head of a dog)
2). narrow the neck of one of the figure (ex. a dog body)
3). shorten the neck of a figure (ex. a dog body)

I haven’t made a lot of progress with meshmixer. Have others figured out how to do these tasks in meshmixer?

Is there another free 3D modifying program I could use that you’ve found helpful?

Thank you.

Fusion 360 can do all of these things. It is a bit of a learning curve and has a free option.

You also can try 3D Slash. It is super easy to use and it’s free.

1 Like

Hi HobbyMaker 3 and Gerdy…

My only experience editing an .stl is Tinkercad so I kind of need an easy to learn application and fast! :slight_smile: I’ll see if there are any easy to follow YouTube videos or screenshots of step by steps for 3D Slash. Thank you both.

Fusion is great but a steep learning curve.

I might suggest something simpler. prusa slicer has the ability to scale simplify and add and subtract basic objects to the original files.

These are all great suggestions, if you find you are still not having any luck feel free to reach out and I can see what I can do!

Matthew

Hi Matthew… Thank you for your kind offer. I’m stuck because I have a Thingiverse .stl file where the head which will not load into Tinkercad (too complex is the error message). It will load into meshmixer but it won’t rotate so I can turn it sideways toward me so I can then create a hole in it and make it a little larger. I teach basic 3D printing at a semi-rural public library and a kid wanted the body large and the head smaller but now the head won’t fit on to the neck (dowel) of the body. This is the file - Funko Pop Dog by ACaballeroM - Thingiverse - It will load into 3dslash but I couldn’t hear any audio in their tutorials to learn how one create a hole in an object. I can hear YT tutorials and ones on other Web sites just not the 3dslash tutorials. Thank you.!

Fusion looks amazing and maybe one day I can carve time to learn it but I have a time-sensitive 3D print so I’m looking to do it as fast as possible. Have you found good Fusion tutorials? I like the screenshot kind where I can print them and use those printouts as my “cheat sheets.” Thank you.

The video is the demo for free prusa slicer. It is hard to get easier.

Autocad offers self paced learning modules. I would start there.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/courses/

you might be able to get educational licence. They can be quite sticky with that however.

Hi @Gerdy

I have not heard of that one before. Thanks for letting me know about it. I have added it to the llist of CAD programs our users have posted for us.

If anyone is interested in all the CAD programs we as a community have found I have them listed here

I second @kitedemon here, peep the video and see if that will help you out at all! If you are having troubles with the audio on the video just make sure it is unmuted by pressing “m” while the video is playing

How big do you need the hole, I have downloaded the stl’s.
I can send the modified stl’s for the size you want with the appropriate hole.

I sometime guide our students at my work. Prusa slicer is a fast easy explanation and allows them to tinker on their own. We typically use it for splitting parts and making alignment holes and or pins for re attachment. It is close to automatic.

I’m 2:55 in to your video (thank you so much! - very cool!) but when I right click on the .stl object on screen in 3D Editor view I don’t see Modify. I downloaded the latest Prusa Slicer so maybe that modifier is elsewhere now? Seems like you can do a lot with this!

Thank you! I’ll play around with it too as the Prusa Slicer is amazing and I want to learn (and teach) as much software as possible. I need to head to fit on to the neck which seems by my ruler (rough measure) 11/16 of an inch thick (neck) so the head would need to be a little wider than that to fit on the neck (dowel.) Thanks so much.

I forgot PrusiaSlicer can do that… I have a DM screen I want to punch some holes in to add magnets, and it’s alway such a pain!

I added an 18.5mm hole in the dog’s head after I scaled it up, original was tiny.
The height I have for it is about 70mm.

Here is file
https://www.dropbox.com/t/5Ti4EDXKTjTrX6Ao

Yes it sure can be. I have started adding a recess under the magnet for a dab of glue so it doesn’t squeeze out so much. I found it really helps. I like them flush and clean looking. especially if they are not big ones.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 2.39.44 PM

Lance - Thank you so much! I’ve got a print going right now and with this slow Lulzbot Taz 6 it will be 4 hours so right after that I’ll print your modified head with hole. Did you do that with the Prusa Slicer? I’m trying to catch up with the steps involved.

No used Fusion, it’s the one I know best, I am an retired 3d cad modeler.
Hopefully the head is the right size.
Let me know how it works out and if I can be any help.