More Newbie Questions

I previously submitted 7 or 8 newbie type questions and got a great response from the forum. Since I have a BiQu B1 I thought I’d continue my beginner questions over here if nobody minds.

One of the things recommended was to use Prusa Slicer which I just d/l’d today. At present I also have IdeaMaker and Cura installed and alternate between them as I try to learn what they can do. I just wandered through the intro to Prusa slicer and I see the BiQu is not a supported printer so I’m wondering if there’s a way to introduce it or can I use a substitute?

Are there recommended settings that I should consider for PLA?

Frank

I think I got started using an ender 3 profile then just renamed it. Put the bed size in as 235x235x270 though. For the start G-code, you can use the one from Cura but you’ll have to edit some of the lines that get its temperatures from the prints.

For example. These 2 M codes set the nozzle and bed temperature for your print. and in the start G code you probably have lines to preheat the bed before it runs the G code for your part. you’ll get an error if the slicer doesn’t recognize these from your start routine.

Cura is
M104 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0}
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

Prusa slicer is
M104 S[first_layer_temperature]
M140 S[bed_temperature]

Oh and the settings for PLA should be the same as what you successfully used before

Thanks Glenn. Don’t think I’m ready to start playing with Gcode yet (if ever). Maybe I’ll just use that Ender profile and see how a simple part comes out. At this point I’m not sure whether to expect any difference in prints from one slicer to another. I’d read that the Prusa one has a nice iron function and I’d like to stack that against the Cura iron.

1 Like

Hi Albergman

Ask all the questions you want, that’s what we are here for, as well it also keeps us on our toes. :slight_smile:

1 Like