My latest Frankenstein creation

I decided that I needed a photo turntable for some things. I found a design online, faithfully printed it, and was extremely disappointed. It was a poor design, and a waste of filament.
Since I now had a 6VDC geared motor, I decided to design my own.
I had printed a planetary gearbox (50:1 reduction) out of curiosity, so I had the parts I needed to run a turntable.
My goals were to make a sturdy, useful, turntable out of stuff I already had - no purchases. One thing I did have was a roll of Chroma Green that would make it easy to remove the turntable in photos/videos.
Below are pictures of what I created.
The base has a power unit in the center, with the motor in the pedestal, and the gearbox above it. The top section of the gearbox is the output, and has eight drive cogs.
The white object has a ring that is engaged with the drive cogs. The bottom “racetrack” is sitting on top of the bearings, and none of the weight of an object placed on top will put any pressure on the gearbox.
The green cylinders are vibration dampening springs that the pins on the underside of the shell sit on. The idea was to try and isolate the turntable. Seems to work :man_shrugging:
Please excuse the acorn nuts sticking out. Turns out I didn’t have any 8mm flat nuts, so I adapted.
This is a link to a 10 second (shaky, cellphone) video showing the goal. The background can be anything, of course, but you already knew that.

Chroma Test

1 Like

Hi there!

Looks great! Have you uploaded the files to printables, thingiverse, thangs etc. If so would you be willing to share the link here so that people could download it too? Im sure there are many people that would love to make something like this!

Keep up the good work!
Matthew

1 Like

Wow, I’ll certainly take that as a compliment.

There’s problems with it that I still have to fix, but I wanted to get it working before I go back into the power unit.

If someone wants the stls or the FreeCAD files, just let me know here - then you get to laugh at my fumbling efforts to model things :slight_smile:

Really neat project Andy. If you need any help with the modelling let me know. I have been an industrial designer for over 40 years and using Solidworks for about 20 years. I don’t charge for my services to help out members in here within reason I should say.

I got into the hobby to create things for my family and for a special project of mine that is in the works. Been on it for 3 or four weeks now as it is one of my design for a mine in Arizona. I will be releasing the pictures in this forum first as it is where I got the most help from all the great members in here.

1 Like

I think that real designers, like yourself, would see immediately that I have no formal training.
A friend of mine is an engineer that designs the hardware and software for the devices his company sells.
When he was looking at one circuit board I had designed, he put it this way:
“I’m a chef in this case, you would be a home cook”
I thought it was a nice way to phrase it.

HELLO: Great job on a turntable.
YES, I would like to get the file. I’m new to 3D Printing but have a little CAD experience and I always like to see HOW someone has put things together - where they actually work.

I will be tempted to make a turntable myself as I would eventually like to try and set something up that I could use a laser to copy and then try to modify. My form of entertainment! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t forget, just been really busy.
Here it is:

Photo Turntable

If anyone here wants the FreeCAD file, message me with your email and I’ll send it directly (don’t think I can attach it here)

If you have any questions, you guys know where to find me. :slight_smile:

Hi there!

Thanks for the update, Ill have to print this when I get the chance!

Keep up the good work!
Matthew