Newbies Final Post

Yep, no kidding … the printer’s gone.

I got into this just to see if I could print some of the more difficult parts of a display model I wanted to build. That meant I had to learn enough about Fusion 360 to draw the parts, learn how to use a slicer then get the parts printed. I planned to just have my local library do that as they have pretty good printers. In the end I bought a BiQu B1 and printed the entire model! That’s done now and my son has inherited the printer.

FWIW the printer had been sitting idle for almost 6 weeks and I had done nothing special to lay it up … old filament still in the nozzle. When my son came to get it I turned it on and we printed a part just to show him the ropes and it worked perfectly. And that has been my experience through the six months with the BiQu … rarely failed to print perfectly and never had an equipment malfunction so I can highly recommend it.

Why didn’t I just keep it you might ask? Well, after I had all the parts designed and printed for my project I just never found any need for it and can’t imagine what I’d do with it. In truth, the most fun of the entire process was designing in Fusion and I’ll miss doing that. I’ll be 83 y.o. this week so take heart any of you who think you’re too old to learn Fusion.

Finally, just want to say I’ve enjoyed being a part of this group and found you very generous with your help so thanks for that.

Frank

Awww, well im glad you found some enjoyment in the world of 3d printing, and that your sharing it for your son to try and get some use out of it.

Feel free to stick around, what youve learned about fusion 360 may be helpful to others who are trying to figure it out.

What did you design by the way?

Also happy early birthday :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words Doc. No doubt I’ll leave the bookmark there for a while and check in now and then. I’m making a British steam locomotive which was a favourite of mine when I was a lad growing up in Scotland. Just a box of parts at the moment but it’ll be similar to two others I’ve made (totally by hand) seen here and here.

2 Likes

Noooooo! Sorry to see you go, and Happy Birthday.

You said you didn’t know what else to do with it. I use mine to make custom tool jigs - drill guides, alignment thingies, that sort of thing. I’m terrible at eyeballing things and even if I measure and mark, I still don’t seem to drill holes exactly where I need them. Then there’s the problem of drilling at odd angles. I have a project on the go for my daughter that requires drilling a few holes at a 78 degree angle. A 3D printed jig for that makes up for my lack of skill.

Of course, you can always send a file to your son to print. I hope we’ll hear from you again some time.

1 Like

ahh well, the skills you learned can be called on again anytime!

1 Like

Happy birthday!

Sad to see you go, I really love sing the fusion of methods in one project. I remember you speaking about just making some parts. looking over the build photos that is so awesome. I totally see the reasonable though of just sending parts to be printed. Shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com) could also be a great resource, you can upload a design and pay to have it printed in a wide range of materials. They can laser sinter so metal parts are easily done it just comes down to price.

1 Like

The reason I enjoy scratch-building my (40+) models is the satisfaction of planning and creating every part of something by hand. Sure, it was fun and challenging learning what I needed to 3D print but it never gave me the same sense of accomplishment. 3D is a wonderful means to an end, a fascinating tool for sure and I have no regrets about the time I dabbled in it. But now I’m ready to return to the old ways.

1 Like