Hi Mr Acadian,
I experienced the same gantry shifting issue you’re describing and a simple fix which made a noticeable difference was just by squaring up the plates at either end of the gantry.
- Print or find two identical leveling blocks, centering the printhead and lowering the gantry to the height of the blocks.
- Loosen the bolts a little which connect the horizontal extrusion to the end plates, this is difficult on the left so you’ll have to be a little creative.
- Check and adjust the guide wheels as necessary, make sure the extrusion is resting on its blocks, bring the end plates to it, square them up and carefully tighten it all back up again.
Sounds silly, I know, but in my case the gantry plate was torqued so far out of square from the factory that it was actually forcing the left side up as soon as the steppers were disabled. Just loosening the bolts to release that pressure made a huge difference.
Other options to consider:
- Installing a timing belt across the top to keep the lead screws in lockstep. This is a foolproof solution, but it costs a few bucks and you’ll have to wait for the parts.
- Installing anti-backlash nuts. The effectiveness of these is contested. Personally, I wouldn’t do it again.
As for your screen issue, sounds like a firmware problem. I know the message you’re referring to but haven’t seen this screen in a long, long time. I think we need more info before anyone can help with that. When does the message show? After leveling, after printing, all the time? Are you on Tinymachines DW7 or 7.2? Did you compile the firmware yourself or use their hex? Do you print from SD, PC, Octopi?